Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Expert oponion

Just like "Master Carpenter". There is no such thing anymore and hasn't been for ages. Impossible to master the scope of the trade in several lifetimes. Not even Norm Abram thinks himself a master carpenter, but he is on record in interviews saying his producers think it sounds more impressive.

Expert. Ex = former and a spurt is a drip under pressure.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

He can spell the word opinion. snicker.
    "...and now I are one..." Exactly what St. Bill said when he made me an MCSE.
    Spelling and grammar count!

If you have to ask it probably is not you.
    - Change it back -

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    Just like "Master Carpenter". There is no such thing anymore and hasn't been for ages. Impossible to master the scope of the trade in several lifetimes. Not even Norm Abram thinks himself a master carpenter, but he is on record in interviews saying his producers think it sounds more impressive.
    You're assigning a meaning to "master" that's not traditional, if it can ONLY mean experience in every conceivable work a carpenter might be asked to do. If that's the bar that must be cleared, then there can't be "masters" in any craft. What it traditionally meant is the attainment of a high--but not impossibly high-- degree of professional competence, as judged by others in the profession.

Quote Originally Posted by Emri View Post
    I don't know about other fields but....... When in gunsmith school an instructor informed us; "The only person who can claim to be a 'gun expert' would be one who knows Everything about Every gun that was Ever manufactured and such a person doesn't exist".
    You nailed it I have been saying that for years!!
    You can never go home again.

6. Default

An expert is someone who knows when they need help.

Think about that for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by S.A. Boggs View Post
    Just what qualifies a person to be an "expert" on anything?
    Sam
    An expert is not someone who knows the subject exhaustively. Rather, it is someone who knows where to find the answers to the subject that he and others seek.
    Last edited by Dolt; 06-18-2018 at 06:29.
    Read, think, UNDERSTAND, comment

Pacific North west & Lake Havasu City, AZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolt View Post
    An expert is not someone who knows the subject exhaustively. Rather, it is someone who knows where to find the answers to the subject that he and others seek.
    I totally agree. Several years ago l taught a class on Plumbing Code in our local apprenticeship program. I personally believe that no one can know the complete plumbing code in any given area. So l approached the class with the idea that it would be much more realistic to teach the students how to find the answers to their plumbing questions rather than trying to memorize a book of facts and figures.

9. Default

Hmm, an Ex is a hasbeen and a spurt is a drip under pressure.

And that means...
    Don't ever say that again.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.