Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Expert oponion

Default Expert oponion

Just what qualifies a person to be an "expert" on anything?
    Sam

2. Default

Experience PLUS brains, or rather, thoughtful intelligence, because thoughtlessness & brains can go together. But all the experience in the world doesn't help the stupid to see beyond the obvious & simplistic.

When I was in LE I was told that an expert was a SOB from out of town with a brief case.

john
    “Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.” (Luke 22:36)

It seems to be those who have a lot to say whether it be verbally or written. Often those who know the most are the quietest so there are those who are actual experts vs those who think they are experts or just want attention.

OK.....

john
    “Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.” (Luke 22:36)

When I worked at the refinery those that were promoted were "instant experts". The previous day their opinions wouldn't have been worth "squat".

I know some of those. "yesterday I couldn't spell ENGIN NEAR and now I are one"

john

Quote Originally Posted by S.A. Boggs View Post
    Just what qualifies a person to be an "expert" on anything?
    Sam
    I don't know about other fields but....... When in gunsmith school an instructor informed us; "The only person who can claim to be a 'gun expert' would be one who knows Everything about Every gun that was Ever manufactured and such a person doesn't exist".

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Emri View Post
    I don't know about other fields but....... When in gunsmith school an instructor informed us; "The only person who can claim to be a 'gun expert' would be one who knows Everything about Every gun that was Ever manufactured and such a person doesn't exist".
    A requirement to know "Everything" in any field is impossibly restrictive. A relative expert may simply be someone who knows slightly more than you; but that's meaningless if you know very little. But there are many who approach a knowledge of "Everything," even if they fall short of that (impossible) goal. For ex., Brophy surely qualifies as a Springfield expert, though there are mistakes & omissions in his book, as there always are when one tackles any major subject.

Politicians are good examples of self proclaimed experts. They have practically destroyed the world as we know it. It has taken someone like Trump who is not a politician nor political expert but merely a citizen on the sidelines with common sense who has become fed up with the corruption going on to attempt to straighten things out.