Default Underwood carbine

My Underwood carbine has no bayonet lug, but does have a ramp rear sight. The barrel is marked 12-43 underwood,one side has the boxed GHD UEF with crossed cannons. The other side is stamped O.G.E.K. In a box. It had wood damage at the wrist, but has been repaired. What can you tell me about my rifle? What am I looking at?

The carbine has been through at least a minor rebuild. The adjustable rear sight was not used by Underwood during there production. The 12-43 barrel date could put your serial number in one of the sub-contractor receiver ranges. If so there is a letter on the receiver below the serial number. The rebuild stamp O.G.E.K. is for Ogden Arsenal. Two different inspectors used that stamp with the letters E.K. One being Elmer Keith. But almost all of his work was with 1903 and some 1917 rifles. If there are replaced small parts like a flip safety and a magazine catch with an M on it then the carbine got the majority of the late updates on it. Odds are it was post war rebuilding.

I'd be guessing somebody took the bayonet lug off at some time. Putting one on was part of the post war arsenal rebuild that 99.99% of all carbine went through.
    Rummage around here.
    http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/
    Spelling and grammar count!

My son and I got a total of 5 carbines from CMP few years back. They all have ramp rear sight, 2 different kinds, and type 2 bands. Which means no bayo lug and they came from Government stores.
    You can never go home again.

IMG_1670.jpgIMG_1664.jpgIMG_1658.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

That looks more like a DCM or NRA carbines. Sold in the early 1960's for $22.00 including shipping. Many of them only had the rear sight replaced with an adjustable rear sight. The stock looks like it could use a bit of a cleaning. Some soap and water to get dirt off but a good gentle cleaner like Formby's furniture cleaner will help strip off the old dead grease and oil from the stock and make it look real nice.

7. Default

I agree with Tuna about the OG rebuild. Years ago I bought a QHMC at a yard sale that was OG rebuilt. It still had the original type 1 band and JQ front sight. Also was in a high-wood IO stock. Most OG 1903A3s look almost untouched like they just looked at them and stamped OG on them.