Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Chicago Traffic Sucks

Stuck in a jam coming back through Chicago after helping my daughter move. Google Maps shows red everywhere. Worst drivers imaginable. Nobody south of the Wisconsin line knows what the left lane is for. On I-65S towards Indianapolis some guy put up a giant sign "HELL IS REAL". It's facing the wrong way because everyone who just came out of Chicago knows that only too well.

Blog Entries

Not to mention, Toll Roads!

I avoid driving thru Chicago, by taking I-80 West to I-39 head North and hit the Wisconsin line,

Once got south of Cicero and the NUVi went from green to yellow, to red and finally, black. Came up on the US 30 South exit from I-80, and took that over into Indiana and then back to I-80 / 90.

The last time I was in that traffic, I started listen to the Blues Brothers. It helped pass the time.
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

From Indianapolis, take I-74 to I-57 to I-294. It's only a few miles more but it saves hours. The scenery is better and there are more places to stop if need be.
    Besides, I don't need anymore cheeseheads thinking they can drive in MY left hand lane.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

I couldn't drive in the left lane in IL if I wanted to JB. It's already full of locals. For as much as gets charged for the toll roads, couldn't they splurge for even one "Slower Traffic Keep Right" sign? Apparently not.

Last time I drove down town Chicago I stopped for a red light. Apparantly my front bumper was intruding into the crosswalk as a priest pounded on my hood!

When I lived there I used to keep with traffic and compete with the best, or worse, of others. Now, if I go back, it scares hell out of me! Just can not play "whats my lane" any more!
    You can never go home again.

I used to live outside Detroit. To make a left turn on a 4 lane, you first stop a hundred yards short of the intersection, while traffic going the OTHER WAY makes a U-turn into your lane and fills up the space between you and the intersection. It will take you two or three cycles to reach the intersection. Then you CROSS the intersection, and about a hundred yards beyond it, you make a U-turn into the opposite lanes. Then after a cycle or so, you reach the intersection and make a RIGHT turn.

My theory is, they know no one would voluntarily live in Michigan, so they arrange the traffic patterns so if you accidentally wander in, you can't get out again.

I see why there were so many gangsters in Chicago. They had to shoot their Thompsons to clear the traffic.