Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ankle holster

Default Ankle holster

I just started to carry a backup weapon in my ankle holster, but it's irritating the hell outta my skin around my ankle. There are no problems when I wear them, but when I go home and take boot/sock off, it's driving me nuts. Does anyone have any way to do this?
    Last edited by AmBraCol; 06-11-2018 at 09:10.

Back when I was a young Leo I had the S.D. Myers Saddle Company of El Paso, Tx make a custom ankle holster for me to my needs. I was using a S&W Model 36...no good. I finally went to a shoulder rig for it and then to just my duty weapon. Off duty it was and still is a .45, I have never encountered anyone who successfully used an ankle holster. For ankle wear I prefer a 6" boot knife.
    Sam

Your ankle is a really bad place to be carrying a firearm. Too hard to get at in a hurry.
    However, that sounds like some kind of allergic reaction. It an itch, a rash or what? Kind of odd it'd be after taking the thing off though.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Ankle holsters are a "deep cover" option, often used for a backup gun by L.E.O.S. Probably the most notable incident in which a pistol in an ankle holster was brought into action was the infamous 1986 Miami F.B .I. shootout where one of the Agents engaged the bad guys with an S&W Model 36 he carried in an ankle holster as his backup gun. The "book" way to use one of these is to place the pistol on the inside of the weak side ankle, that is if you're right handed the pistol goes on the inside of the left ankle. To draw pull up the left trouser leg with the left hand and draw with the right.

I have been known to carry this way on automobile trips or if I'm somewhere I'll be doing a lot of sitting because sitting down is the easiest way to draw the weapon with this arrangement. In scenarios where you'll be dressed "business casual" and don't want to wear a jacket; (a common situation where I live) but you still want to carry concealed it is better than not carrying at all.

It is far from the best option for any situation in which you'll be on your feet for any length of time. It's a lot further to the ground than to your waist.
    Last edited by Art; 06-09-2018 at 12:10. Reason: Spelling

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by AmBraCol View Post
    Just started carrying backup weapon on ankle holster but it is irritating the hell outta my skin around my ankle. No problems when I'm wearing it but when I get home and take boot/sock off, it's driving me nuts. Anyone have any remedies for this?
    Best remedy I can offer is to stop carrying it .... remind me to tell you about my brother some time....

Quote Originally Posted by Sandpebble View Post
    Best remedy I can offer is to stop carrying it .... remind me to tell you about my brother some time....
    The illegal "brother" named Juan?
    Sam

...when I get home and take boot/sock off, it's driving me nuts.
    Take the holster off too.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by S.A. Boggs View Post
    The illegal "brother" named Juan?
    Sam
    So who is the Troll ?...

Not once can I make a posting on Culvers with out some childish , snyde remark from Boggs....

I invite all here to research our posts.... both Boggs and Sandpebble.... and tell me .... who is the Troll ?

This man is none stop dogging my posts and accuses me of being a Troll..... I'm sorry he has alcoholic issues which has caused him the loss of two careers ... but I didn't do it.

Grow up Boggs ...and ignore my posts like you keep promising to.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandpebble View Post
    So who is the Troll ?...

Not once can I make a posting on Culvers with out some childish , snyde remark from Boggs....

I invite all here to research our posts.... both Boggs and Sandpebble.... and tell me .... who is the Troll ?

This man is none stop dogging my posts and accuses me of being a Troll..... I'm sorry he has alcoholic issues which has caused him the loss of two careers ... but I didn't do it.

Grow up Boggs ...and ignore my posts like you keep promising to.
    16?
    Sam

In 30 years as a cop, mostly spent in Patrol, I never found a comfortable ankle holster. Ended up as follows: Carried a .380 (hollowpoints) in a shoulder rig, that I put on after I put on my protective vest. It was snugged down on my left side and I could reach it easily if needed. "If needed", meant that the situation was close up and personal, and popping off a shirt button wasn't a consideration at the moment.

Only folks I ever saw comfortable with an ankle holster were Detectives sitting at their desks.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain