Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default M-1 Garand problem

LGS has a problem with a Garand it will fire 3 rounds then will fail to chamber next round. Shop owner said it was very dry when he got it so he oiled it before attempting to shoot it.
    I will check the springs, then properly lube ...then test fire this weekend.Probable issues???
    TIA hvymech

Use grease not oil. Could be a clip latch or ops spring issue.
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

I would properly grease the rifle then check the op rod spring. It should be straight with no bends and measure 19- 20 1/4 inches long. If its different than these specs replace it with one from Orion 7 or Garand Gear. Stay away from other brands that are extra power, they can cause issues

Agree with Orlando. Most failures to feed are because of a worn op rod spring. Free length of spring should be between 19 1/2 and 20 1/4 inches (per Kuhnhausen). No kinks. Look for worn, flat spots. Clean out the op rod tube. You'd be surprised at the amount of gunk that accumulates over the years. Smear some grease in the palm of your hand and grease the 1st half of the spring that goes down the tube. Tony at Orion 7 sells mil-spec springs at a decent price. As Orlando notes, those "Wolff" springs cause nothing but problems. HTH.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Shapiro View Post
    Agree with Orlando. Most failures to feed are because of a worn op rod spring. Free length of spring should be between 19 1/2 and 20 1/4 inches (per Kuhnhausen). No kinks. Look for worn, flat spots. Clean out the op rod tube. You'd be surprised at the amount of gunk that accumulates over the years. Smear some grease in the palm of your hand and grease the 1st half of the spring that goes down the tube. Tony at Orion 7 sells mil-spec springs at a decent price. As Orlando notes, those "Wolff" springs cause nothing but problems. HTH.
    Dan, I believe spring length is 19 - 20 1/4 not 19 1/2

FM's and TM's are here. Note the need for the provided UN & PW. TM9-1005-222-12 is the most comprehensive. Could be the follower, clip latch or the op rod or its spring.
    http://www.biggerhammer.net/manuals/
    Spelling and grammar count!

I agree with the op rod spring and lubrication, BUT saying that... After 3 rnds with in a few minutes, the barrel has heated up, and MAY have changed it's straightness (so to speak, and is rubbing the wrong way against the op rod. It may be nice and straight while cold, but a heat induced minor bend might happen. After changing the op rod spring and lubing, and it still doesn't correct the 4th rnd fail to feed, I'd work on doing the "tilt test" while the barrel is warm, and see if there's a bind. I know this sounds like an off the wall idea, but if all else fails, look for the weird.

RHB

Is the rifle recently reparked?? When I got my DCM M1 in 1983, I hand cycled the action fifty times without lube, then cleaned and detailed the rifle, used Lubri-plate on the underside of barrel and the action ways. first clip purred right thru.

Check also Kuhnhausen;s book for more actions to take.

Just got back from test firing..Fired three clips without any problem...now to clean and return to the gun shop. Thanks for the help...hvymech out.

So what was this fix or there was no fix. Rifle just wasn't greased?