Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Back surgery Spinal Fusion S-1 L-2 L-5

So I have really had a lot of trouble with my walking more than with back pain, had a long history of weird numbness and pain in my legs, it really became evident in 2012-2013 when I had trouble getting in a jeep on the deer lease and keeping up walking downrange to the 200 in CMP. A spinal fusion was advised a year ago and I had it done three weeks ago. Good points are: I do not have the shooting pains in my legs at night. The surgical site is not that painful, and I am grateful for the pain reduction in my legs, but I was really wanting a better increase in power in my legs. I am back at my office practicing dentistry and that is my physical therapy for the moment. What I would like is info from any of you guys who have had this done about how long it takes for improvement in strength. The scary part is.... Did I wait too long to have this done?

My surgeon is considered the local best, he has operated three of my medical doctor friends/patients and does a lot for the TCU athletes.

If you have had this surgery and had weak legs, how long did it take to see improvement and how much improvement did you get?

leftyo Guest

i havent, but my father had it done. it took him a few months to really get going. at only 3wks out, i think you need some more time to work back up some of the muscle youve lost over the years.

Thanks!

The rehab can be a bear but hang with it.

For right now he is saying me working is enough rehab but he may add some later. I was out of my office only 13 days. On half days moving to full time Monday.
    Last edited by Griff Murphey; 06-08-2018 at 12:11.

Sir it will take a few months my friend had the same thing done move easy and take nice slow walks just do everything slow

Quote Originally Posted by bdm View Post
    Sir it will take a few months my friend had the same thing done move easy and take nice slow walks just do everything slow
    Thanks - all such reports are encouraging!

My wife had fusions at the same places. Give it three months before any real improvement. She wore a full brace for about the first three months., then a bone growth stimulator for months after that. Doing well now.

I had spinal fusion and decompression surgery about 16 years ago. As I recall, I felt tolerable after 6 weeks and was not only back to work but I gave a paper at a conference. I had been warned, however, that it would take a year before I felt fully normal and that was pretty close to the truth. Having said that, I do not feel that I ever recovered the apparently unending energy that I had before the surgery although there was a significant improvement in that I did not suffer from continual pain and from numbness in my legs. On the negative side, after about twelve years I started to get back pain again and although nothing showed up on the x-ray, I suspect that I am once again suffering from a compressed nerve or I am getting arthritis where the titanium rods and screws join my hips. As far as I know there is no reasonable way to correct this again and I was given a prescription for strong naproxen (Alleve) pills and as a precaution use a cane if I have to walk any distance. In response to your question regarding whether you had waited too long, there is a cliche that all back surgery patients hold the view that they should have had the surgery earlier; you are not alone in this.

Thanks again. I guess I should count my blessings. One of the Lackland AFB marksmanship guys who tuned my practice welded repaired IHC M-1 and installed a 7.62 barrel was a Tech Sergeant named Dwight Ingraham. Dwight had back surgery at Wilford Hall Hospital and came out a paraplegic; “The drill slipped....”
    This was back about 1970. I went back for my college 20th in 1991 and the NRA convention was in San Antonio. Ran into all of the USAF marksmanship guys and they gave me the sad news that Dwight had just died. He'd have been in his 50's I would guess. Anyway because of his experience back surgery has always had a particular terror for me...

I will be patient. Keep 'm coming....
    Last edited by Griff Murphey; 06-11-2018 at 11:40.