Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Suicide again

Quote Originally Posted by TomSudz View Post
    Sam, from the Fire/EMS side, there does seem to be an uptick in suicides recently. I'm not sure what's causing it. Each case is equally sad and leaves us asking why they didn't seek help.
    Some people may have so many problems or be suffering from so much pain that they don't want help. Obviously they find that suicide is the easy way out.

That's lazy. Smack yer self a little and find something, anything that gives you a hold on. xxxx, it shouldn't be all that difficult. You are a being on this vast planet(why do I have to do everything). Being stuck in the mud is challenging. Roll with it. You are young. Not my usual post.]
    Last edited by dryheat; 06-09-2018 at 11:14.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dryheat View Post
    That's lazy. Smack yer self a little and find something, anything that gives you a hold on. xxxx, it shouldn't be all that difficult.
    Remember that while you're waiting for the nursing home attendant to change your diaper. Of course, if you're very lucky, you won't even know your diaper needs to be changed--just a happy rutabaga.

Quote Originally Posted by clintonhater View Post
    Me the blithering idiot who claimed to have seen "every circumstance of human life"? It's YOU who claimed your firefighting experience made you an expert on human psychology, YOU who obviously thinks he's the shrink.
    OK. I'll play.

Sam, from the Fire/EMS side, there does seem to be an uptick in suicides recently. I'm not sure what's causing it. Each case is equally sad and leaves us asking why they didn't seek help.
    I've been a firefighter for 32 years. I don't need anybody to hold my hand, pat my head, or give me cookies, either. Probably the last thing I do need is an internet toughguy giving me a lesson on real life. Anytime somebody sees me, it's because they're having a bad day. And in some cases, the worst day of their life. I see every circumstance of human life. Maybe that's why I cherish it.

What leaves us asking why someone didn't get help are things like the 14 year old who put a Mosin-Nagant in his mouth and evacuated his cranial cavity, or the 26 year old mother who hung herself while the kids were at school- the week before Christmas, or the 55 year old guy who hung himself in his closet without saying a word to anybody. Why does a 19 year old put a shotgun to his chest on New Year's Eve (and you arrive to find his father- a man you've known your whole life- doing CPR and expecting him to live). How about a beautiful 19 year old girl who slashed her own throat or the 36 year old woman who tied a weight to her chest and went into the swimming pool. NONE of them had any of the problems you mention and NONE of them had any problem that couldn't have been solved another way, but NONE of them EVER asked for help.
    Thank you, Dr. Freud, I was hoping you would respond. I think we can see who the omniscient blithering idiot with fantastic arrogance is.
    At what point in the above quoted posts do I claim to be an expert in psychology? I don't. If anything, questioning why one wouldn't seek help demonstrated that I'm NOT a psychologist. I only claimed to be a firefighter.

Note that I said I have seen every circumstance of human life, but didn't say I have experienced every circumstance. You can see something, but not have experienced it. 32 years is a long time in the fire service and you get to see a lot you want to unsee in that time.

Just to clarify, the terminally ill and those with chronic conditions (you mentioned respirator patient, for example) generally DON'T make us wonder why.

I did nothing more than reply to the original post by mentioning that we have seen a rise in suicides and that we don't understand it. You needed to attack personally without provocation. I thank you for your input, but will not continue to reply, and wish you well in the future.

Best regards,

Tom

Game over.
    I dream of a better world. One where chickens may cross the road without their motives being questioned.

5. Default

People use the word "Christian" too easily.
    IMHO drug use is responsible for a lot of the problem, these various legal "medicines"-their efficacy is "greatly exaggerated", and anyone who burns their brain cells out with illicit ones---they didn't value it that much to begin with.
    In my Army days (1967-1971) one of the best morale boosters was the death of a superior, and I can think of several, who, if they did themselves in....
    In today's PC Army troops are really not being trained for combat, hence when they experience it...

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TomSudz View Post
    You needed to attack personally without provocation.
    "Game over." Obviously you're used to giving commands that others aren't allowed question. It's different here.

My first post merely questioned your simplistic assumption about the causes of suicide, saying nothing that directly referenced you personally, whereas YOU are the one who "attacked personally without provocation" by calling me an "internet toughguy"! Then saying later "I was hoping you'd respond." That wish granted.