Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default M1 garand question............

Has anyone purchased the SPECIAL GRADE CMP garand? if so, how do they shoot?

Can you pick one off the rack at Anniston?

do they offer any with post war receivers?

Can you walk out the door with one at Anniston?

none of these questions can be answered on the CMP website...

please help..
    thanks

Eric H.
    owner of 4 original WWII .45's...

ehcatsfan@aol.com

look on the cmp site , there you can find the correct paper work to purchase and how to apply.

What the CMP has to offer varies. If you have specific requirements for the Garand you want to purchase, call first to see if they have what you want. If they have what you want you can pick one off the rack, fill out the paper work, pay for it and walk out the door with it.

I bought a special grade in 2012 based off of recommendations from this forum (30-06).Mine ended up being an HRA. I’ve put between 400 to 500 rds through it. All Greek surplus. It has ran fine with no issues. We shoot steel with it at our 650 yard range. The sight is well timed to the ammo until it gets pretty cold, then it needs a couple extra click. It will ring the plates all day long from supported prone so it’s a straight shooter. I’m very happy with this one. I know a sample of one is not much but based off of my experience I’d recommend one. If you want some pics of my example let me know and I will take some.

As far as your other questions I don’t know, I ordered mine and had it shipped.
    Last edited by p246; 06-02-2018 at 04:57.

all of your questions can be answered on the CMP forum and website

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
    all of your questions can be answered on the CMP forum and website

True, but why not give him a hand, Bill.

1. I have one I built at the CMP class, so it is similar to those the CMP builds and sells. It shoots well since it has a new barrel, but it is likely that you will have to tweak the new commercial stock. Info and tips on how to do that are on the CMP Forum, How To’s subforum.

2. The CMP periodically puts Specials in the Stores in Anniston and the Talladega Marksmanship Park (20 miles from Anniston). Best way to see if they are in stock at the Stores is the CMP Forum South Store subforum.

3. Postwar receivers - the CMP builds Specials from refinished receivers, both wartime and postwar. Usually SA for wartime and SA and HRA for postwar. If you specifically want a postwar receiver then watch the CMP Forum South Store subforum and post a question to PH68. He posts the inventory in the South Store (and sometimes Talladega), and can tell you more specifically what was in stock when he last checked.

4. That question is answered on the CMP website. In short, if you meet all of the purchase requirements, and have appropriate documents, you can purchase the Special and take it with you from any CMP Store.
    Last edited by bostonbound; 06-04-2018 at 12:40.

7. Default

thank you very much for the info..My Father went to basic training at Fort McClellan and I've always wanted to visit down there...

I have enjoyed looking over the selection of specials at North Store during the Summer games. Picked out some that had to follow me home. My favorite is one in .308.
    Sure miss the Service Grade Specials that were around a few years ago. They were just fantastic.

Semper Fi
    Art

I enjoy reading the drivel about the CMP and how great they are. I ordered a Service grade Garand early in March and because it had been 10 years since I had ordered anything, I sent them all the "necessaries," including copies of my DD214, BC, DL, AL card, VA ID, and CCW license along with the Notarized order form, and the universal form. A few weeks later I ordered a case of the Hornady Garand ammo $286. and included the order forms and my BC and DD214.

When I got the order confirmation they sent the ammo to my address from 10 years ago and not to the address on the order form. That took over a month to straighten out and I did get a debit on my CC. It seems the recipient cannot change the delivery address, only the shipper can do that. CMP was too busy to make that call, so FedEx tried to deliver the item 6 times to the guy that now lives at my old address. My concern was and still is if they ever get around to shipping the Garand, where will they send it? So far they are unable to even tell me they received the order.

The web site says it takes 2 - 4 months. If it takes them that long to ship one M-1, how long will it take to ship one of the 9,000 1911's?

How about when DCM ran the show and it took a year or longer to ship a Garand??????