Default 1863 springfield

Today, while at my local gun shop, I saw a 1863 Springfield rifle,not a replica, no us on top of butt plate,us Springfield and
    1863 clear on lock plate,1863 on top of barrel,no rust or pits on metal, inside the barrel looks OK,only real problem is a crack in the stock at wrist. Wants $800. Is this a good deal?, how much to replace the stock? TIA hvymech

Why replace the stock, just fix it. $800, the value is up to you not so much the market unless you are buying it to resell. A question for me would be am I willing to buy a piece of American history?
    Sam

I can't find one on the internet for less than $1,000.

How bad is the crack? A syringe style epoxy applicator and clamps might fix it.
    A repro stock will lower the value, but these guys want $275 for one. When they have 'em. http://www.ssfirearms.com/proddetail...d=GS109&cat=88
    Spelling and grammar count!

Repair the stock! Preserve its history. $800 is a good price, maybe talk the seller down some because of the crack.

6. Default

If you buy it, go to the Garand section of the CMP forum and see if you can contact Rick Borecky. He goes by RickB and StockDoc and is a wizard at stock repair.
    Last edited by mike9905; 06-02-2018 at 05:04. Reason: typo

7. Default

I would love to have one and if I had that much to spend would have one. If you get it, post some pics.

I agree with the above. When it comes to antiques, repairs (Good and correct repairs) are much more desirable than modern replacement parts. A repair may only downgrade a wee bit where a replacement could cause the value to plummet downward.
    If all checks out, the $800 initial cost should allow for a nice repair. The value will then go up accordingly with the passage of time.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Agree. Much better to fix the stock then replace it.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

A repair may only downgrade a wee bit
    A proper repair won't "downgrade" an antique any more than the defect being repaired already has.

FWIW,

Emri