Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What Gun Is At The Back Of Your Safe And Why?

Went through the safe doing a periodic oiling of the bores. Got me wondering how things get ordered as they do. In my case it's a CMP Collector Grade from 2005, with a CMP datasheet in the stock listing it as an all original post-war SA. Issued but very very low miles, as was the case with some of those Greek returns. Not the most valuable gun in the collection but I have other Garands if I want to futz with one, so it sits at the back.

Blog Entries

I have an M1D that I dont shoot very much and just a couple SRS 1903s that live in the dark recesses of the safe. It's not a permanent prison, they get rotated every once in a while.

Two M1’s that see very little use.
    Type 1 NM = Ding free stock, very low “round count”. (That’s it, in my avatar)
    August, 1941, LL = very low “round count”, but I do replace the original, round fire pin when it goes to the range.
    Last edited by JimF; 08-30-2018 at 05:20.

Back of the cabinet ... little use? Unfortunately ... most. I have recently been sent to a new pastoral appointment. The nearest rifle range where I can do any serious shooting is at least two hours away. My old range is 3 1/2 hours away. I just do not have an entire day that I can devote to being away from the office/church. End up taking a couple of half days off a week. So, my beloved 03 and 03-A3 rifles are not getting hardly any use. My M-1's are not getting any use. My handguns are only occasionally getting used simply because at least there is a commercial range available, ... not a full 25 yd. range ... more like 20 yd., but at least a place where I can shoot my pistols. I get to do some shooting when I'm coming back from a hospital visit. I do remember a time not so many years ago when I could spend most of a day at the range ... shoot several rifles ... have a really good time. Oh well. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

In the back of which safe?

Guns which I fired once or twice and stored are:

Winchester Pattern 14 with volley sights and no WRS markings.
    LEC/Royal Irish Constabulary carbine.
    M1 Intl' Harvester which was gifted to me by a WW2 Pacific vet turned history teacher. I had the utmost respect for that man.
    16g Iver Johnson shotgun I inherited from the uncle who taught me hunting and fishing as a lad.
    One of my Martini Henry's I bought after cashing in a misplaced US savings bond from 1959. Sort of a souvenir of a bonding moment when my Dad took me to see the movie Zulu.
    There is a 1915 Stevens .22 that I don't remember where it came from. Not at the moment anyway. Forgot I even had it until this thread was started!
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    In the back of which safe?
    That's what I say--I don't have one.

I have a 1941 Johnson and a M1D in the back of my safe never shoot them

Blog Entries

In the back of my safe is M1NM (type 1) that I bought new at Camp Perry in 1958. I know how it would shoot in 1959 when I used it to fire in the 1959 National Matches.
    Next to it is an M1D I bought through the DCM. It is unfired since I bought it. I consider them investments so don't need to shoot them.
    Last edited by Herschel; 08-30-2018 at 02:17.

The gun(s) at the back of my safe are the ones that get shot the least which are (right now) my Russian SKS 45, it's companion Russian Model 44 Carbine, my beautiful Remington 700 Classic in .250 Savage and my Yugoslav M48 Mauser. I like all of them a lot, but, as I said, they just get shot the least.

In the front of my safe are my '03s, my M1, my AK clone and my No4 Mk 2. Next back are my old Harrington and Richardson Pioneer .22 and my Mossberg M44 US. These are the long guns that get the most use.
    Last edited by Art; 08-30-2018 at 06:29.

Back of my safe M95 Carbine and No 5 Mark 1, and a 1915Lithgow. None I shoot often.