Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Buttermilk...yuck. Never could stand that either but I was never made to put it down as a kid. Buttermilk biscuits or pancakes are fine, but I can't drink it. *shudder*

As far as cheeses go, you're not supposed to put cottage cheese in lasagna. That's just a shortcut for lack of ricotta. Supposed to be a blend of cheeses too. Not just mozzarella. For pizza topping a blend of at least 3, but 5 or better is preferred.

Aw crap...I just read what I wrote. I sound like some sort of friggin' arm chair Martha Stewart or something.
    Last edited by JB White; 06-06-2018 at 11:11.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post

As far as cheeses go, you're not supposed to put cottage cheese in lasagna. That's just a shortcut for lack of ricotta. Supposed to be a blend of cheeses too. Not just mozzarella. For pizza topping a blend of at least 3, but 5 or better is preferred.

Aw crap...I just read what I wrote. I sound like some sort of friggin' arm chair Martha Stewart or something.
    We all do as we age. Soon we will be talking/bragging about our daily bowel movements. The clock is ticking and not stopping for anyone.

I was going to mention the ricotta cheese in the lasagna too but thought what the heck, it taste about like cottage cheese anyway. Mozzarella doesn't have much taste but pizza and other Italian dishes wouldn't be the same w/o it. Will post updates about my BM's later.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    We all do as we age. Soon we will be talking/bragging about our daily bowel movements. The clock is ticking and not stopping for anyone.

I was going to mention the ricotta cheese in the lasagna too but thought what the heck, it taste about like cottage cheese anyway. Mozzarella doesn't have much taste but pizza and other Italian dishes wouldn't be the same w/o it. Will post updates about my BM's later.
    Way too much information for a food topic
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Blog Entries

I ate most everything on the table,

never liked chicken, or beef liver, and my father did not either, so mom never cooked it, (she did cook small batches of chicken livers for herself)

my brother is a very picky eater even now, so he got to sit at the table a while longer ,,

brussel sprouts are the bomb!!!

5. Default

My Dad loved tripe, and Friday night was tripe. night I can still see those disgusting intestines laying in the greasy water

Quote Originally Posted by RETREAD123456 View Post
    My Dad loved tripe, and Friday night was tripe. night I can still see those disgusting intestines laying in the greasy water
    My grandmother's tripe was a pickled concoction (eaten cold), which I thought was pretty good - of course I had no idea of what it was at the time.

As a kid, we had to try everything at least once. Once tried, if we didn't like it, we didn't have to eat it. As a kid, I hated liver and brussel sprouts. They're both still on the 'no eat' list.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by S.A. Boggs View Post
    Cooked spinach rates right there with beef liver. Only was I could eat either was with catchup!
    Sam
    Waldorf salad, canned salmon, and creamed chipped beef

Cannot to this day eat 'beef' sourced from any of the 'dairy' breeds. Right up there is liver. Doesn't matter what you cook with it, put on it, I won't put it on my plate.

Hominy. Not hominy grits but whole kernel hominy.

I was never forced to eat anything but my mother often served canned hominy fried in a skillet. For those of you who may not be familiar with this it is basically soaked field corn fried in oil. Sort of like popcorn but larger kernels soaked and fried. Yuck.

We were never forced to eat anything and over time things just worked out to where things were cooked we would all eat. Sometimes hominy would be cooked up but my father was the only one that really liked it and that was fine with everyone. He also ate tripe - I tried that once and it was the last time it literally made me throw up. Though the spread my grand parents owned was sold long before I was born my sainted grandmother basically did upper Texas coast farm and ranch cooking. Fresh turnips and greens, snap peas, chicken and dumplings, roast wild duck when available, which by then wasn't often, was some of it. One staple for breakfast was cold rice and milk served like box cereal (loved that,) a potato fritter called a "fat boy" (loved those more.) My grandfather's favorite breakfast was calf brains scrambled with eggs but he died when I was young and that went away after that, probably with him gone no one would seek it out. My mother wasn't quite the cook my grandmother was but cooked pretty much the same stuff. Canned food isn't at the top of my list but can be pretty good if you punch it up a little.

I'm not a very good southerner when it comes to food. I don't like okra and if I have gumbo I ask about that part in advance. Cracklin's repel me. Catfish isn't my favorite fish, though I find them passable if wild caught - especially if I do the catching. I won't eat grits unless they're heavily camouflaged with something else as in shrimp and grits. Tripe is heinous to me unless its sausage casing. I do love collards though .

I have acquired some tastes since I was a child. For example; I didn't like sausage then but do now, both cured and uncured, if it's good quality stuff from one of the independent markets or smoke houses around here. I had some chorizo from a little Mexican market for breakfast this morning. It was made on site and was a real treat. This is especially true of boudin and chorizo which I will only eat from specialty stores now.

Interestingly my sweet wife was really picky when she was a young woman but now has much more democratic tastes than I do. On her trip to Vietnam earlier this year she ate the baby duck eggs. I never thought I'd see the day.....
    Last edited by Art; 09-03-2018 at 06:56.