Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a Paul Harrell video on the power of the M1 Carbine. In addition to testing a variety of brands and bullet types of .30 Carbine ammo; he compares it to three different .357 Magnum loads fired from a lever action rifle. He also compares it to 5,56mm NATO M193 ball with interesting results.

It is a bit long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4Eg3TKkpTY
    Last edited by Art; 04-05-2020 at 09:02. Reason: Grammar, syntax, accuracy

The carbine round is not a bad little round and in a handgun it is "hot" to shoot. I load mine with a Lee 120 lead gas checked at 1400 fps using Lyman #2. In many carbines never a problem with leading of the gas system. I once ran 1800 rds straight in my carbine one afternoon to get it to stop, it wouldn't and it was sizzling!
    Sam

Two of my seven carbines can hit a torso target regularly at 300 yds. They group 1 & 1/2 - 2 inches at 100 yds while the other five group about 4 inches at 100 yards.

4. Default

Fact is the carbine is always compared to the M1 Rifle and then found wanting. If we had test subjects , I think we'd find the carbine was exactly what it was intended to be ...replacement for a 1911 pistol. So, in a perfect world , line up a squad of North Vietnamese soldiers (see I told you in a perfect world..my perfect world for test subjects), shoot some at 10 yards and some at 50 yds with a carbine and same test with 1911, one would find the carbine did as good or better than the 1911 and % of hits with carbine far better because in the military, we never trained to shoot the 1911 very well. In Special Forces we always did but in normal Infantry Divisions, they trained poorly with 1911 and qualification was not too hard to do.

Now I have no combat experience with the M1 Carbine but my wife as a teenager helped defend her house during Tet 68 with a M1 Carbine . She has no complaints with how things shook out ! She has a carbine under her side of the bed to this very day. She's deadly with it.