Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Crown

1. Default

Art I wish I would have listened a long time ago....

2. Default

On the recrowning I have done, including match grade barrels, I chuck them in a lathe and use a single point tool to cut them.
    They are in a four jaw chuck, are indicated to .0005 then cut.
    Works great this way.

leftyo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
    You have learned one of the simplest ways to improve most rifles accuracy. Sometimes, all that it takes is a simple nick in the crown of a barrel to throw things off.
    Even the rounded edge that happens in time to all crowns is easily cleaned up to, better than issued condition at times.

Semper Fi
    Art
    agree. i have even seen 1911 barrels recrowned that looked pretty good to the eye, and it made a signifigant difference.

Re: Range Results. Simply outstanding! So very glad the crowning job gave such very good results! Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
    You have learned one of the simplest ways to improve most rifles accuracy. Sometimes, all that it takes is a simple nick in the crown of a barrel to throw things off.
    Even the rounded edge that happens in time to all crowns is easily cleaned up to, better than issued condition at times.

Semper Fi
    Art
    I have a Savage Tactic that shoots .5moa. 2yrs ago the groups opened up to 1.1 so I had it re-crowned and it went back to .5 The problem was an almost invisible nick.

The Manson kit is one of the best investments for shooting accuracy that I have made.

Semper Fi
    Art

7. Default

Just don't re-crown every range trip or you'll run out of barrel mighty fast. I have used the Manson kit and it is a well made. Thanks for the report.
    Last edited by Punch the Clown; 06-03-2018 at 08:11.

I need to invest in that kit for my Kimber 82

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
    I need to invest in that kit for my Kimber 82
    Used it on my 82. Makes bench rest fun again.

I just saw he makes a basic kit for $135.
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy