Default Garand bayonet from CMP

Delivered yesterday and I am a bit perplexed. The bayonet itself is in better condition than I expected and so is the M8A scabbard. One little problem, the keeper strap will not snap around the handle. I soaked it in soapy water over night and scrubbed the canvas with a toothbrush. Using a set of pliers I still could not close the snap... I know the M8A was used for more than one bayonet but were all the M-8A's same???
    Last edited by RED; 05-08-2018 at 04:11.

Sometimes you have to connect them like a V. I just experienced the same problem on a M10 scabbard holding the M7 bayonet. I hope this works.
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

Quote Originally Posted by m1ashooter View Post
    Sometimes you have to connect them like a V. I just experienced the same problem on a M10 scabbard holding the M7 bayonet. I hope this works.
    I have pretty much given up. The V got it closer but still no where near buttoning down. I am pretty sure the quick and easy fix would be to remove the metal tip from the bottom strap. I would seal the webbing with glue to keep it from raveling but that will end any collector value (if there is any).

What do you think? I want the bayonet to be in a shadow box with my M-1, my Dad's Victory model S&W, and hopefully my new CMP service grade 1911A1. I don't anticipate ever using the bayonet for anything except display.
    Last edited by RED; 05-09-2018 at 04:09.

Which Garand bayonet did you get. The M1 bayonet takes the M7 scabbard. The M8A1 was originally made for the M3 bayonet for the M1 carbine. When the M5 and M5A1 bayonets came out they modified the M8A1 scabbards to make the fit the larger grips of those bayonets.

If the manufacturer of the scabbard is BM CO it was made during WW2 for the M3 bayonet. In the early 50s VP CO started making the M8A1 scabbards and during their contract is when the scabbard was modified to accept the larger grips of the M5 and M5A1 bayonets. That design remained in use for the M6 and M7 bayonets until replaced by the M10 scabbard.
    Last edited by cowtownscout; 05-09-2018 at 08:12.

Quote Originally Posted by cowtownscout View Post
    Which Garand bayonet did you get. The M1 bayonet takes the M7 scabbard. The M8A1 was originally made for the M3 bayonet for the M1 carbine. When the M5 and M5A1 bayonets came out they modified the M8A1 scabbards to make the fit the larger grips of those bayonets.

If the manufacturer of the scabbard is BM CO it was made during WW2 for the M3 bayonet. In the early 50s VP CO started making the M8A1 scabbards and during their contract is when the scabbard was modified to accept the larger grips of the M5 and M5A1 bayonets. That design remained in use for the M6 and M7 bayonets until replaced by the M10 scabbard.

It is an Imperial M5A1 post war bayonet with a B.W.H. USM8A1 scabbard. I agree the two might not go together. I think if I remove the metal tip on the bottom strap it will snap butit will still be tight.

San Clemente, Ca Within earshot of the sound of freedom from Camp Pendleton

When all else fails, call the CMP, and explain the problem. They have always been "customer service" oriented in my experience.

DON"T CUT ANYTHING!
    Dean (the other one)
    OFC-Orange Co. Ca Chapter

Quote Originally Posted by RED View Post
    It is an Imperial M5A1 post war bayonet with a B.W.H. USM8A1 scabbard. I agree the two might not go together. I think if I remove the metal tip on the bottom strap it will snap butit will still be tight.
    Hi Red
    If it's a PWH then it was made between 1965 and 1969 the name changed to TWB in 1969. The PWH M8A1 was made to fit the M5A1. My reference book is U.S. Knife Bayonets & Scabbards by Gary Cunningham and he does not show or list a B.W.H. as a manufacturer of the M8A1 scabbard.

I agree with Deano41 don't cut it, call CMP and talk with them.
    Scout
    Last edited by cowtownscout; 05-19-2018 at 04:04.

You're right it is PWH not BWH, my mistake on that. The bayonet was to fit a Garand displayed on a wall with the bayonet. It is just a curiosity piece and since the scabbard is apparently the correct one I will display them side by side and no one will know the snap doesn't work.

I hate to bother them with such a small thing. Especially when they need to try to catch up on rifle shipments that they are 3 months behind on and are about to get overwhelmed with orders for 8,000 1911A1's.