Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Poachers

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    I personally think the loss of hunting privileges, and very possibly your boat, car, firearms, vehicle a heavy fine and possibly massive restitution fees ought to be enough.
    "Loss of hunting privileges"? Are you kidding? What's that to a game thief? What's "enough" is loss of their miserable worthless lives. NOTHING is lower than a poacher!

Ya gotta link, you got any evidence? The NRA is above that. That's why when you ask God to save your mom from cancer it doesn't work.
    Poachers are...well, Good Ol Boys. Me being the devils advocate kind of gets it. They're country. Their daddies worked all their lives to make a little ranch work. And it's beautiful. Books have been written about the folks who went thru hell to make a living off the land. Then; there's the well bred descendant who is the BBOC in the small town,and god bless him he has some history, but that doesn't mean he gets to take his jeep out into the country and slaughter whatever he see's.
    Probably not real accurate.
    But some one is taking game illegally and not only that, they waste game and resources(an elk left to rot and a hundred yr. old juniper cut down for firewood) and, well, I know I'm a bleeding heart about this stuff, but it pisses me off.
    Last edited by dryheat; 05-22-2020 at 03:15.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

I posted a long reply on this yesterday in the 2A section on Doug's thread.

I think CH has a damn good point--if someone is breaking game laws, what do they care about a license, or possibly even a fine? Rich guys and speeding tickets, right? Pay the fine, have your lawyer make the points go away. Poor guy, hunt, drive, without a license.

Some states (more than I thought) have felonies on the books for extreme cases of poaching. As far as I can tell, the NRA supports monetary fines for poaching. I cannot find any NRA position, one way or the other, on the subject of making poaching a felony.

I see a lot of headless deer, and hear guys shooting out of season. By nature I am not a hard core "rules" guy but something about poachers really goes against my grain.

I'm not getting into the NRA argument: But one night a few years ago I saw a light in my woods behind my house. I got my 12 gauge and fired one shot at the light. Who ever it was, beat feet and didn't stop. I use blanks for such fun!
    M1a1's-R-FUN!!!!!!!

Another one that rubs me the wrong way is the apparently unwritten rule for some when hunting on public lands:

ALL SIGNS MUST BE USED FOR TARGET PRACTICE

Allen: Good pun. It took me a minute to understand the reference, even though my wife often eats poached eggs

Low Life Trash that is what they are

Blog Entries

Togor, NRA membership isnt like a professional license. If you get a DUI, or get convicted of poaching, you dont have the requirement to report the crime to the governing body.

Other members in good standing could however, seek a quorum with the state NRA representative, and request guidance for a member not in good standing.
    "The first gun that was fired at Fort Sumter sounded the death-knell of slavery. They who fired it were the greatest practical abolitionists this nation has produced." ~BG D. Ullman

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Roadkingtrax View Post
    Togor, NRA membership isnt like a professional license. If you get a DUI, or get convicted of poaching, you dont have the requirement to report the crime to the governing body.
    Even if there was such a requirement, how would it be enforced? When I joined in 1959, the requirement was that new members be recommended by a current member, though even that could obviously not guarantee bad apples would be kept out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by clintonhater View Post
    Even if there was such a requirement, how would it be enforced? When I joined in 1959, the requirement was that new members be recommended by a current member, though even that could obviously not guarantee bad apples would be kept out.
    Likely only by a system of self or peer reporting. I dont think the NRA is this exclusive affiliation, it may have been a long time ago. You send your $35, they send you a card and 12,000 pieces of junk mail.
    "The first gun that was fired at Fort Sumter sounded the death-knell of slavery. They who fired it were the greatest practical abolitionists this nation has produced." ~BG D. Ullman