Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default An electronic question

After reading the thread on what people who post here do, I realized that there a few folks with an electronic background, me not so much.

Anyhow my problem is the garage door opener when using the remotes starts to come down but stops after a couple of inches, if I use the wall operator and hold down the button it will close.

The remotes trigger the door, so I do not think it is the battery as I figure once the operator is triggered, that should be it for the cycle.

Am I missing something?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Ken

Blog Entries

SWAG here, check your lower safety sensors and wiring for shorts, opens and general condition. By holding the button down you override them.
    Last edited by Roadkingtrax; 05-02-2018 at 06:52.

This is a question for Togor, perhaps he can answer your question.
    Sam

A long shot, but I had the exact same problem. Turned out I had a mass of cobwebs over the door sensor. Opening the door allowed the breeze to move the web and interrupt the light beam.

It's the simplest things sometimes.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

When trouble shooting electronics the general rule is to eliminate the obvious.

I would put fresh batteries in the remote. If no difference, batteries are eliminated as the problem.

Clean the child/animal sensors. If no difference, sensors are eliminated as the problem. You should check to see that they are still in alignment though, sometimes they get whacked unintentionally and get slightly out of alignment.

Sometimes it could be the door track itself. If the track is misaligned, but the door still moves, there are a few things you can do to attempt to remedy the issue on your own. You’ll know that it’s misaligned if you hear a rubbing noise when the garage door reaches a certain spot on the tracks each time it opens and closes. Sometimes the door may even slow down slightly when it hits this spot.

Depending on how old the door is it could be that the door just needs some maintenance. Sometimes a garage door that lowers just fine will fail to open, especially in winter.
    If this happens, look for a screw on the motor unit to adjust the sensitivity of the opener. Especially in winter, when rollers might get stiff, the door opener might be sluggish, start and stop, or refuse to open. Lubricating rollers can also help with this problem. Methods for adjusting sensitivity vary; so consult the owner's manual for directions.
    - Change it back -

Blog Entries

There is an adjustment on the motor head that adjusts the opening and closing torque. Sometimes seasonal changes affect this. Get out your book or go online for the owners manual for the make / model you have.

My door runs pretty loose in its track, especially at the first curve. Sometime sticks and stops at that point. Probably due to the 'stop door when it hits object' safety feather. I hit the button again till it gets started around curve and it will continue on all the way! Winter problem only, keeping track and rollers well lubed will help.
    You can never go home again.

A little lube with a white lithium aerosol spray might not help... but I'd try it anyway. My Ford van's sliding door was hanging up and hard to close. I thought I had lubed it, but it is not what you use that matters. Where you put it sometimes does.

I would like to thank everyone who responded, the information given was great. Unfortunately the worst possible to happen did . The wife fixed it, I will never hear the end of it I promise you. She cleaned the electric eyes and re-adjusted them.

Regards

KTK