Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AR15 lube

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Former Cav View Post
    I started using break free CLP... GOOD STUFF however, during a rifle match the smoke would come out of the charging handle gap and go right into your aiming eye!! So I switched back to CLP. never had an issue.
    In vietnam, we used CLP and DIESEL for the cleaning part. Course, I was in an armored cav unit. LOTS of DIESEL around. NEVER had a problem.
    one stoppage due to ammo. (posted elsewhere)
    run a small bead of RTV along the inside curve or the charging handle, and some anti stick or lube on the part of the upper where the charging handle stops against,
    when it cures, it makes a good gasket to prevent the smoke from getting in your eyes

2. Default

I'm going to use a diesel grade synthetic motor oil on the BCG. Diesel oils are for keeping soot and crud in suspension. Pop the BCG into the ultrasonic every so often and see how it does.

3. Default

My brother gave me a bottle of Dri Slide years ago. Finally built an A4 and used it on the bolt carrier. Contains Molybdenum Disulfide (like moly bullets). A dry lube that helped out the early users of the M16 in Vietnam. The gasses that work the bolt carrier blast right into the action and can gum up the oily lube(I am told). But what really got me is the fact that Dri Slide on the hammer/trigger sear really slickened it up. Standard single stage trigger that I stoned and lessened the sear engagement to get rid of creep. But the Dri Slide got the trigger pull down to 5 LBS. from 6 LBS. or so.
    Last edited by Fred Pillot; 04-29-2020 at 07:23.
    Fred Pillot
    Captain
    San Jose Zouaves

Texas native exiled to Oz for past indescretions to numerous to mention.

For many years (you learn things in the Army you can use your whole life), I used the same LSA the army issued before the CLP came along, with no complaints. I run them "damp" but not "dripping" wet. The army did not issue grease for the buffer and buffer spring, so neither do I. As far as I'm concerned, the Army issued the "sprong" along with the rifle and that's just part of it.

However of late, I've switched to the "machine gun lube" available from LaRue. Seems to allow less carbon build-up on the interior surfaces of the bolt carrier group, and the carbon is softer and easier to remove.

https://www.larue.com/products/machine-gunners-lube/

The Army issued shaving brushes for lube purposes. Get one wet (but not dripping) with whatever lube you think best, and give things a good wipe down before re-assembly.

Finally: My nephew the jarhead, who did multiple tours in Iraq on the pointy end of the spear, and knows what he's talking about when it comes to high usage in dusty environments, swears by Remington Dry Lube.
    "There it is"
    LOAD AND BE READY!

I use synthetic motor oil 0W5 if i recall. Definitely hi temp. I just pour a half teaspoon in my hands rub together and then rub my bolt down and assemble. Haven't had a problem.
    He who beats his sword into a plowshare, will soon be plowing for somebody else!

The School of the American Rifle channel on YouTube uses synthetic motor oil and same-brand synthetic grease mixed to the consistency of honey and then applied pretty much everywhere behind the bolt head with a flux brush. I made some up with full synthetic Valvoline 5W40 and Valvoline synthetic grease and lubed up my A2s. I'm going to try to get to the range this week to try them out with this regime.

Any updates on lube, always willing to learn.
    Sam

Dallas, TX metro.. formerly Phoenix metro, AZ

use whatever you've been using that has been working for you forever. It if works DON'T fix it!

I have been using a product called Militec-1, It is a synthetic oil and a grease is also available. Heard about this product here on Culvers some years back. Story was a father wanted to send something to his son over in the sandbox. The company sent cases of the stuff for free and the troops found it to be excellent on their firearms. Especially in the sandy conditions. Since we are not really subject to the same conditions the product should work even better. Don't know how you can upgrade excellent except give it a plus rating. I like the results I have had.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
    Author unkown.