Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR15 lube

Default AR15 lube

What do you guys have the best luck with as far as type of lube for the AR15? I've read where they run better wet, as in oiled. Some say they run better dry. My brother used to be a cop and he would only use powdered graphite on the departments M16's. I have 2 new AR's that I haven't shot yet and want to try them out. I don't want a greasy gun. I'm leaning toward the dry graphite. Any concerns or recommendations?

There are lots of approaches and products but I don't think wet with oil or graphite is a good idea. The parts that slide I use a very thin application of Lubriplate. Light oil on the rest.

I have used a lot of different lubricants on the AR type rifles with good results. The lighter oils will burn off if the firearm gets realy hot (constant rapid fire, mag dumps or full auto fire). For normal use a CLP, Weapon Shield and 0W50 synthetic motor oil are all OK, but many oils will work. I use a light grease on the bolt lugs and cam pin. When mixing lubricants they should be similar types. The important thing is the moving parts are lubricated.

I believe a light coating of lubricant is enough for most conditions. On the Army ranges if a weapon malfunctioned usually the first thing that was done was to flood the action with CLP. This would often work for the dry arms room weapons, but many times the problem was with worn magazines.

I currently use a light coating of Weapon Shield with Geissele Automatics ALG Go-Juice 0000 Very Thin Grease. The Go-Juice could probably be used for everything.

The type and quantity of the lube is not as important as just having the weapon lubed.

I'm not rolling around in the dirt so I just use CLP and Hoppes #9 to clean the bore.
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

5. Default

I like Frog Lube. Use it where you see wear marks and moving parts. No need to flood it. I'll clean the bolt carrier assembly every time, pretty easy. The barrel gets cleaned when it needs it.

Slip 2000 weapons lube. Synthetic, thick, 30rd mag dumps doesn’t burn it off.

Quote Originally Posted by m1ashooter View Post
    I'm not rolling around in the dirt so I just use CLP and Hoppes #9 to clean the bore.
    +1

I have a large can of Lubriplate and 3 cases of Plastilube so this is what I use as a grease. I use CLP when an oil is indicated and then very little. My wife was having trouble with her sewing machine running smoothly, so I took it apart to clean the machine. Her machine oil had attracted dust and debris turning the residue into a gummy paste. I cleaned the machine completely, took canned air to get into all crevices. Where I could see wear marks I lightly applied Plastilube with CLP on any springs. I left her bottle of oil next to the machine to let her think this is what I had used. When she started to sew it was very quiet, a humming sound and was a lot faster then before...she was amazed! I told her what I had done, now in her "kit" is a little tub of Plastilube.
    Sam

Blog Entries

run it somewhat wet with CLP,
    grease up the recoil spring to take the sproing noise down

clean the bore with hoppes

Dallas, TX metro.. formerly Phoenix metro, AZ

I started using break free CLP... GOOD STUFF however, during a rifle match the smoke would come out of the charging handle gap and go right into your aiming eye!! So I switched back to CLP. never had an issue.
    In vietnam, we used CLP and DIESEL for the cleaning part. Course, I was in an armored cav unit. LOTS of DIESEL around. NEVER had a problem.
    one stoppage due to ammo. (posted elsewhere)