Thread: BM59?

Default BM59?

I was thinking about getting the stuff for a BM 59E build. Always wanted one kind of. Cross piece that fits between my Garands and FAL/G3s. Wondered if anyone has done one. Looking for opinions on M14 magazines versus original mags. I’m thinking Beretta over Argentine kit. Leave it with original finish and stock, or go all in reparkerize and new wood. Thanks for any advice in advance.

No advice but you have piqued my interest. I began looking around myself. Two questions already.

1. Adding the kit cost to the value of a donor rifle, is it worth building one as opposed to buying one outright?
    2. Since the Feds have implemented 922r, isn't there a huge risk of being non-compliant when using a kit?
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Have a look at this first.
    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...lone-Money-Pit
    Kind of suspect M-14 mags will be available and original BM mags will not. $345.00 for the Sarco kit(stocks are in poor condition). M1 receivers start at roughly $500 on Gunbroker.
    $1,295.95 for a James River clone.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    Kind of suspect M-14 mags will be available and original BM mags will not. $345.00 for the Sarco kit(stocks are in poor condition). M1 receivers start at roughly $500 on Gunbroker.
    That's exactly where I was going in regard to cost. That thread is 8 years old and new laws have been passed since then. You can but the kit. You can buy more parts. But you can only use just so many imported bits to make a legal rifle now. Meaning there will be some leftover parts for legal reasons. Are domestic parts available to fill in the blanks? $$$

Heck, I didn't even look to see if the BM59 was definitely on the naughty list. I'm sure it depends on their definition of sporting purpose.

JB that’s exactly why I’m on the fence. If you go M14 magazine fed and buy US made Mags that’s three parts, I’m still working on what else to change and if it’s worth it. Regardless if you go Beretta or Argy they are foreign made parts kits so unless someone knows something different they have to be 922 imo. If you buy a US made Barrel and have it converted that definitely breaks the bank. The last few completed BM 59s I saw at gun shows were pretty pricey and the cheap ones show out of stock. For some reason they just seem neat to me. Buying a Completed FAL/ G3 cone or M1A would be cheaper for sure....Sarco has Partially milled receiver but no telling what that means and how much still needs to be done.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    Thanks Sunray I had not thought about James River.

Dallas, TX metro.. formerly Phoenix metro, AZ

didn't ODCMP.org just have some BM 59's for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by Former Cav View Post
    didn't ODCMP.org just have some BM 59's for sale?
    I’ll have to look. Sarco had some for 850.00 but they are gone. James Rivers are 1300.00. 922ready on a cast receiver. Some extraction issues in reviews I read but it sounds like they stood behind them. Uses original mags but Sarco has a bunch for 29.00. Some reviews said finicky on ammo type. Iraqvet8888 did a good YouTube review on one.

Shuffs Parkerizing builds a nice one on a converted M1receiver and they wil mill it to either original or M14 Mags. Depends on your kit I think whether it’s an E Model. If you had them do it all probably a 1500 or 1600.00 gun.

I’m still on the fence....I’m just drawn to 7.62 battle rifles for some reason.

1300 to 1600 puts you towards the lower end of the Springfield M1A bracket. Both BM59's are affordable as far as cash outlay goes. Will stay that way if you choose the M14 magazine option. I get the impression you were looking to use a kit and come in a lot lower $$-wise? Still not bad if you consider the extra money a sort of insurance policy for legal reasons.

I put myself out of that market a couple of days ago. Started with only a 10/22 a couple of weeks back. Then an impulse buy of a S&W 586 this weekend. Leaves me with only a few hundred left in the 'gun fund'. Won't take it out of the bank. Living on a pension means it takes too long to put it back.

If you decide to go for it, then please keep us posted? As I mentioned earlier, you piqued my interest...and it wasn't the first time I felt a BM59 flirt with me.

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    1300 to 1600 puts you towards the lower end of the Springfield M1A bracket. Both BM59's are affordable as far as cash outlay goes. Will stay that way if you choose the M14 magazine option. I get the impression you were looking to use a kit and come in a lot lower $$-wise? Still not bad if you consider the extra money a sort of insurance policy for legal reasons.

I put myself out of that market a couple of days ago. Started with only a 10/22 a couple of weeks back. Then an impulse buy of a S&W 586 this weekend. Leaves me with only a few hundred left in the 'gun fund'. Won't take it out of the bank. Living on a pension means it takes too long to put it back.

If you decide to go for it, then please keep us posted? As I mentioned earlier, you piqued my interest...and it wasn't the first time I felt a BM59 flirt with me.
    I still might put it together, but I’d have to have the receiver work done. The main reason I was wanting to go M14 Mags was I have one and Mags so one less magazine to buy. Reportedly the BM 59 Mags were very rock solid, but I never thought the better M14 Mags were a problem. I still can work off duty jobs for play money, might as well till I can’t. Be hard to pass on a good Smith and Wesson.

Buy a BM59e kit. You will find the majority of parts are US made making 922r a mute point. Stick with the BM59 mags. They have dropped in price and readily available.