Default WM Lawrance SXS shotgun

Hello All,
    A while back I pick up an old double barrel shot gun made by WM Lawrence in Laconia New Hampshire. I can't find much on this shotgun online so I'm here to ask all the knowledgeable folks here if anyone has any info on it.
    All I've been able to find out is it was made in the 1860s.
    It has Damascus Steel 12 ga. 29" barrels, hammered side locks, double triggers, case colored hammers, receiver and locks(not much color left).
    I'd like to know if this is a "fine old shotgun" (like a Parker) or a "hardware store" shotgun. (like all the shotguns made by Crescent Arms). I'd also like to know if it has any value.
    And I know it's not a good idea to shoot a Damascus shotgun. I don't intend to shoot it, but I really would like to know what I have.
    TIA,
    Dave
    Last edited by DaveL; 05-03-2018 at 09:24.

Will pictures help??
    I have more pics if anyone wants to see them.

000_0221.jpg000_0223.jpg000_0230.jpg000_0227.jpg

Sweet gun!! It's really unusual to see a gun of that period with that much of the original wood and metal finish left. Usually a gun that old that's been used has no colors left in the case hardening.

I did some digging around and WM Lawrence was a small manufacturer of rifles and shotguns during the mid to late 19th century. Among other things the company made an interesting single shot shotgun. While not as well known as some other firearms makers of the period his guns were quality and definitely a several cuts above the typical "hardware store" guns of the time. I found a couple of the single shots for sale on line in not as good condition as yours for $550.00 and $800.00. There was also a beautiful WM Lawrence target rifle that had sold so there was no price but looking at it I bet it was a lot.

Is the action still tight???
    Last edited by Art; 05-05-2018 at 06:42. Reason: New information, spelling, typos

Art,
    The action locks up better and tighter than most of my other much newer doubles and it's smooth as silk. There's no separations or discoloration on any of the soldered parts. The gun is in very good shape with the exception of a small dent about halfway down the right barrel. If it had fluid steel barrels I wouldn't hesitate to shoot it.
    Here's a few more pictures:
    000_0222.jpg 000_0224.jpg 000_0228.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dang, a double chopper lump gun. Even cooler. You did good . Beautiful example of an American mid-late 19th century double gun, definitely used but very well cared for indeed. It would probably actually be safe to shoot with the right loads but why take the chance. You're right toe leave it alone and admire it. You just don't see many like that. Most shotguns of that period are completely trashed.
    Last edited by Art; 05-04-2018 at 07:34.