Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default .308 Match "Palma" small rifle primed brass

Just got in 500 Starline .308 match " Palma" cases. They utilize small rifle primers for extended brass life and optimum accuracy. These will primarily be used for my precision bolt rifles.

Semper Fi
    Art

The size of the primer has nothing to do with case life or accuracy. Nor is there a "Palma" case. Palma ammo is a 155 grain bullet. The rest is just .308.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Good looking Starline brass! Doubtless it will provide the basis for numerous good handloads! Have loaded a fair bit of .308 Winchester ammo for both bolt and semi-auto rifles. Semi-auto is just to rough on brass to use anything but USGI. But, in my bolt guns I've always liked to use really nice stuff. What rifle do you normally use for such shooting? Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    The size of the primer has nothing to do with case life or accuracy. Nor is there a "Palma" case. Palma ammo is a 155 grain bullet. The rest is just .308.
    Wake up and smell the roses. Don't be quite so quick to try and disqualify another's thread. Small rifle primed brass lasts much longer before the pockets expand and become unusable. Accuracy is enhanced because SD is much easier to get into the single digits.
    A little research will bring you into the 20th century my friend. .308 match/ Palma brass , as marketed by Starline, is small rifle primed so there is indeed such a thing. That is exactly why Palma was in quotes in the OP. Just trying to share a little information that was new to me also. The accuracy part of small rifle primer usage in .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor has been common knowledge for years.

Semper Fi
    Art

Quote Originally Posted by bruce View Post
    Good looking Starline brass! Doubtless it will provide the basis for numerous good handloads! Have loaded a fair bit of .308 Winchester ammo for both bolt and semi-auto rifles. Semi-auto is just to rough on brass to use anything but USGI. But, in my bolt guns I've always liked to use really nice stuff. What rifle do you normally use for such shooting? Sincerely. bruce.
    Howdy Bruce.
    For my gas guns I use mostly European Berdan primed brass in my loading from DAG and MEN. They have provided better accuracy in my M25s than any of the usual boxer stuff.
    My precision shooting is done with FN SPR, Rem 700P, Savage 110 and Winchester 70s in .308. Then I have been using a Savage BA 10 Stealth in 6.5 Creedmoor which is a sub 1/2 moa rifle recently.

Semper Fi
    Art

Re: Rifles. Cool! Once upon a time I did bow down at the high altar of accuracy ... at least what passed in my area for accuracy. My be all to end all was a Rem. 700 VS-SF in .308 Winchester. Got that rifle to where it would average just a smidgen over .6 MOA for ten shot groups. Granted that won't win any trophies, but I was shooting off homemade sandbags off the roof of my car. Milk jugs on a berm a little over 400 yds. away were not at all hard to run. Harris Bi-pod made it a wonderful rig for deer hunting, etc. Nowadays ... have a lot of fun w/ a 03-A4 replica that has a real knack for making nice slightly less than MOA groups. Have been reading about the 6.5 in it's various permutations. Have been giving a lot of thought to doing one up for deer hunting. Would be nice. On well, maybe. You ... you have lots of fun with those rifles of yours! Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

I love shooting AR-500 prairie dogs at 150 yds with my 03-A4 repro. Makes me feel like a real rifleman.
    Most of my shooting is done prone with bipod or if I am too lazy to get down on the ground I have a wobbly 3 legged plywood shooting table.
    It's all fun.

This is my normal shooting position.

This is my fancy table.

Last edited by nf1e; 04-25-2018 at 03:03.

[QUOTE=nf1e;526485]...I have a wobbly 3 legged plywood shooting table.
    It's all fun.

Mine's a Workmate and a folding Russian wooden chair! It IS all fun!
    "Wars are, of course, as a rule to be avoided; but they are far better than certain kinds of peace." - T.R.

[QUOTE=Liam;526487]
    Quote Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
    ...I have a wobbly 3 legged plywood shooting table.
    It's all fun.

Mine's a Workmate and a folding Russian wooden chair! It IS all fun!
    Thanks, I was hoping I wasn't alone.

I have envied the guys that get to shoot off concrete benches forever.
    Wife gave me permission 30 years ago to build one but there always seems to be something just a little more important that pouring a shooting bench. Gives me a handicap.

I wonder if the primer pockets last longer because there is more material on a small primer 308 versus large primer. It would also depend on brass quality to I suppose. I get more case life out of Norma and Lapua than Hornady and Winchester in bolt guns. My gas gun I regularly shoot are FALs and they are hard on everything.