Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default von Richthofen killed on April 21, 1918

Just 100 years ago today Manfred von Richthofen was killed in his Dr1 triplanedscn1255.jpg

Bill Lambert, American Ace who flew in the RAF, lived in my hometown. On his wall in a sealed case was cloth that came from the plane. Bill looked for the Baron each and every day to avoid getting shot down. Bill was a remarkable man, drove a Mustang II about town, in the rear window was a small wooden sign with S.E.V on it.
    Sam

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I love that picture of the A-10 in the Red Baron's colors

Quote Originally Posted by S.A. Boggs View Post
    Bill Lambert, American Ace who flew in the RAF, lived in my hometown. On his wall in a sealed case was cloth that came from the plane. Bill looked for the Baron each and every day to avoid getting shot down. Bill was a remarkable man, drove a Mustang II about town, in the rear window was a small wooden sign with S.E.V on it.
    Sam
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Carpenter_Lambert

I see Eddie Rickenbacker was from Ohio too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Rickenbacker
    Last edited by Allen; 04-22-2018 at 09:55.

Quote Originally Posted by S.A. Boggs View Post
    ....drove a Mustang II about town, in the rear window was a small wooden sign with S.E.V on it.
    Sam
    I'm unfamiliar with SEV. Please explain?
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    I'm unfamiliar with SEV. Please explain?
    S.E. were the first two initials, the V was Latin for 5. Being in the RAF Bill flew British aircraft, during WWII Bill was in Dayton.
    Sam

Oh..SE 5! Familiar with the airplane. Water cooled engine. Gun atop the wing... I obviously missed the connection. Thank you

BTW, he flew for the RFC back then, not the RAF Had to have been well into his 90's when driving that Mustang II. I bought one at the end of 1974 and that was the first year they were out. I only got 65K out of that car and it was on it's third camshaft and 4th timing belt.
    Last edited by JB White; 04-22-2018 at 02:52.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    Oh..SE 5! Familiar with the airplane. Water cooled engine. Gun atop the wing... I obviously missed the connection. Thank you

BTW, he flew for the RFC back then, not the RAF Had to have been well into his 90's when driving that Mustang II. I bought one at the end of 1974 and that was the first year they were out. I only got 65K out of that car and it was on it's third camshaft and 4th timing belt.
    You are right, Bill could be seen going to the post office in his Mustang with his pipe and holder. Wish I had got him to sign his book, he also was somewhat of a free hand artist. The other Bill from my AO was Bill Large, the barrel maker of fame. Bill made all the muzzle loaders for the movie Sgt. York and with Red Farris was a founding member of the NMLRA @ Portsmouth, Ohio back in the 1930's. My Dad and Bill Large had both been in the Guard in the early days and I shot a great deal at Larges range.
    Sam

Interesting facts about Von Richthoven:

His father was an absentee ranch owner, and wrote a book about making money ranching in Wyoming.

His successor was Hermann Goering.