Default Broken sear spring

I pulled out my 1944 Enfield No 4 Mk 1* recently to get it ready for the range and noticed the trigger has no resistance in the first stage. I assume this condition is being caused by a broken sear spring. Has anyone successfully replaced a No. 4 Mk 1* sear spring, or is this a job that’s complicated and best handled by a gunsmith?

You can see if the spring is broken just by looking. Simply take the stock off.
    Enfields are fairly easy to work on. Replacing the sear spring isn't difficult. Takes needle nosed pliers and a screw driver.
    The old Surplus Rifles disassemble/assembly How-to is here.
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kh9guf4wv...MKJajVKra?dl=0
    Exploded No. 4 Rifle drawing is here. http://stevespages.com/ipb-leeenfield-no4.html
    $6.45 each for a used, "condition may vary" sear spring from Gunparts. Listed for who knows why under 'SMLE'. A No. 4 is not an SMLE.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    You can see if the spring is broken just by looking. Simply take the stock off.
    Enfields are fairly easy to work on. Replacing the sear spring isn't difficult. Takes needle nosed pliers and a screw driver.
    The old Surplus Rifles disassemble/assembly How-to is here.
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kh9guf4wv...MKJajVKra?dl=0
    Exploded No. 4 Rifle drawing is here. http://stevespages.com/ipb-leeenfield-no4.html
    $6.45 each for a used, "condition may vary" sear spring from Gunparts. Listed for who knows why under 'SMLE'. A No. 4 is not an SMLE.
    Thanks for the info. New sear springs are offered at Springfield Sporters. I was going to order one but I thought I’d better take a closer look at the trigger mechanism before ordering a new spring and found it to be in one piece and in good shape. The sear spring also holds the magazine in place. Trigger resistance in stage one when the bolt is cocked feels normal. Un-cocked, it feels loose but that must be normal.

Without the sear engaging the cocking piece, the trigger can feel a bit "floppy" and that is normal. So long as the spring is good and it's holding the mag release in place...fuggetaboutit
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

I admire my No. 4 and think it’s a really great shooting rifle but it sure is a different animal in many ways, i.e. the floppy trigger, odd caliber, bolt head construction, simple web sling, rimmed ammo, 2 piece stock, brass butt plate, 10 round external mag, overly spacious chamber. Definitely engineered by the Brits.

Be glad there is nothing electrical about them. You'd also have Lucas wiring!

Ever look under the hood of a Rolls Royce?

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    Ever look under the hood of a Rolls Royce?
    I think there's a law which doesn't allow me anywhere near a Rolls Royce.

The Brits obviously like complicated designs IMHO. The rifles and cars they build are great examples.