Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Is #131354 a rifle?

If one of you connected guys could check this for me I'd be really grateful. This barrel is now carbine-length, but the number is close enough to other carbines I thought I better check to make sure I didn't get lucky!

Does it have a carbine stock and a C marked rear sight. Is the front sight a standard KRAG dovetailed base? Pictures?

3. Default

Sorry, I'm not where I can upload pictures now. Sight base is low-hump C marked, but not the leaf or slide which look like 1902 profile. Yes, it has a 1901 carbine stock with a 1902 sight cut-out, not altered, no butt sling slot and front ring is bald - no sling hinge. Yes, it has the standard dovetailed base BUT the muzzle has been turned down to bayonet diameter to the front edge of the dovetail. Barrel is exactly 22". The gun (except for bolt) is beautifully blued, still about 95%, probably done back in the 50's or 60's when bluing was really at its peak. The bolt is polished nickel. The turned-down muzzle makes me think it's some sort of cut-down, but I need guidance on that.

Pictures can help identify what you have. The serial number is paramount to telling if it started life as a carbine. 1898 carbines fall into a very specific serial number range and are often faked, and the fact that it's been reblued and the muzzle turned down are concerning. I'd want to see the front sight post attachment, as they are sometimes re-attached after the barrel is cutdown. Krag sight posts are attached with a dovetail and brazed... and the attachment is nearly invisible. Also, pictures of the muzzle and rear sight will help too.
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

5. Default

Turned down muzzle sounds like school gun. I have seen them fairly often back in long fore end M99 carbine stocks.

It appears that you seem to have what once was an 1898 Carbine (mine is 131024, with others known nearby, so the number is plausible) which was initially made into a school gun with full-length stock, then, at some later date, was made back into a carbine.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    It appears that you seem to have what once was an 1898 Carbine (mine is 131024, with others known nearby, so the number is plausible) which was initially made into a school gun with full-length stock, then, at some later date, was made back into a carbine.
    It's amazing what a gun can go through in life! Thanks everybody!

There is probably a story there. How is the barrel? If Dick's theory is true, it would probably be original, or at least an early-year arsenal replacement. Dis the arsenal make the school guns? Did other organizations or gunsmiths also make them? Are there any odd stamp marks on the stock?

Tell us more!

jn

And as usual... Dick is the voice of reason! I totally forgot about the School gun with the turned down muzzle... but I wasn't sure about the serial number. Sounds like you have a Krag with a story to tell.
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Thaks, Paul. To be more accurate I should have stated that while the first two iterations were "official", the suspected third one was almost certainly not.