Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Fred and Pete, any problems with the high mount and cheek position on the stock? With full power loads it looks like it might be painful to shoot?

Quote Originally Posted by bnrg View Post
    Cplnorton, does the rear part of the knoble just drop down onto the rear reciever bridge or is there a clamp of some sort? There was a Van Wie mount similar to this one shown in Brophys book-the long bar part that spans the magazine was bent down slightly and acted as a spring to lock it in place. Brophy made no comment on how well it (or knoble) worked in practice.
    Andrew found a 1923 Sniper rifle trials, and it has several very detailed pics of the mount. It looks like it is made from spring steel, and it's normally curved. So you put it in rear Sight base, and then it would be putting pressure on the rear to keep it in place.

It's a really very simple, but ingenious design.

Credit goes to Andrew for this one. This is from a report he found.

Last edited by cplnorton; 04-14-2018 at 07:08.

Quote Originally Posted by bnrg View Post
    Fred and Pete, any problems with the high mount and cheek position on the stock? With full power loads it looks like it might be painful to shoot?
    No problems. I brace the rifle against my shoulder as usual and take my shot. My jaw, though positioned higher up on the stock, feels just fine.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cplnorton View Post
    Andrew found a 1923 Sniper rifle trials, and it has several very detailed pics of the mount. It looks like it is made from spring steel, and it's normally curved. So you put it in rear Sight base, and then it would be putting pressure on the rear to keep it in place.

It's a really very simple, but ingenious design.

Credit goes to Andrew for this one. This is from a report he found.

That is a Neat mount!
    Last edited by Fred; 04-14-2018 at 08:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Davis View Post
    A few years ago I made up a M1903 scoped unit from a rifle that had been drilled and tapped, into the right wood and put a Lyman AK on it. It's an April of 1918. Really accurate.

Attachment 43428

Attachment 43429

Attachment 43430
    Pete, I'll bet that rifle is fun to shoot.

5. Default

No real problems shooting it. I like the Lyman AK. The straight stock feels good to me. I have a scoped "C" rifle and a scant A4 as well. They all shoot well. When I was 46 I killed a deer at 80 yards with the issue sights from a 1918 RIA. Nowadays (58) a scope is indicated.

PD

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Davis View Post
    No real problems shooting it. I like the Lyman AK. The straight stock feels good to me. I have a scoped "C" rifle and a scant A4 as well. They all shoot well. When I was 46 I killed a deer at 80 yards with the issue sights from a 1918 RIA. Nowadays (58) a scope is indicated.

PD
    The Armory still looks like a work of art. Any new projects?

7. Default

Jt

11-17

DSC06162.jpg

pd

8. Default

As Gorgeous would say, "Do you consider yourself an artist or a craftsman"?

Nice pick on that keystone.

Nicely done!

10. Default

Pete's skill with stone is legendary.