Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Last edited by Fred; 04-14-2018 at 08:48.

Could not open attachment. Belding and Mull mount? How well does that work? None of my ‘03s are drilled for scopes and I am going to be needing this soon, so curious about how well a bolt on would work.

Belding and Mull! Thank you for reminding me of the model name of this mount.
    I've been having some difficulty with my memory of late.
    I don't know of any other such B and M mounts out there except for just one other a fella owns. If you need one soon, good luck in finding one.
    There is also another type of mount that fits in place of the rear sight and requires no drilling and tapping of the rifle. It's an Older type of mount that B-Square made up to Around 30 years ago. It is NOT the common mount designed for 1903A3's. It was designed specifically and Only for a classic 1903. I'll post a photo here in a few minutes of one of the several I have. I bought out the last few remaining such mounts from an old inventory of a closed shop. They've not been made or available for decades. Nobody I know is familiar with such a rare mount today.
    Odd that nobody else paid any attention to them. Their loss.
    Years ago I Gave one to a guy I know at a gun show. I knew he'd never be able to find another. He acted like he couldn't have cared less about it and didn't even thank me. I quit being a such a nice guy after that.
    Last edited by Fred; 04-14-2018 at 11:00.

image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

There was a really famous no drill mount back in the day. It preceded this Bedding and Mull, and was trialed as a potential sniper rifle by the Marines and Army. It was the knoble Scope mount.

The remarks are always very positive on it. I think the only reason it wasn't utilized more was there really wasn't a need as it came out post WWI.

This is the Knoble sight mount. I can't remember where I got this honestly. It might have been from Andrew. But I know they are pictured and talked about everywhere back then. But to be safe I rollmarked with Andrew's name.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way Fred, a Bedding and Mull scope and mount just popped up. IT's a different design than this above, with a backstory it was in a Marine trials in the late 20's. I don't know about the story on the trials, as I've never seen a mention of it. But it's sort of a neat design. I will ask the owner if he minds me post pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow! Thanks Steve!
    Id like to see a picture or pictures of that Belding and Mull!

7. Default

A few years ago I made up a M1903 scoped unit from a rifle that had been drilled and tapped, into the right wood and put a Lyman AK on it. It's an April of 1918. Really accurate.

SA 4-18 Resize Walnut Log.jpg

SA 4-18 Target Resize.jpg

Flaming Zweebie-RIA 1919 033.jpg
    Last edited by Pete Davis; 04-14-2018 at 01:41.

Pete, I'll bet you built that stone building in the background. Pretty neat!

Pete, if that is the serial no of your rifle on the target I have its sibling, 905xxx. It is no longer stock condition-SA 42 barrel and dt for a lyman 48 and is fitted with a damond traistor (sp?) trigger. It was my starting out high power competition rifle for a long time. My club team mates rolled their eyes when i showed up with a ‘relic’ but I pointed out that ‘it has a new barrel!’-they werent impressed. It shoots pretty well tho I am going to need a scope soon to hold up my end.
    Bob
    Last edited by bnrg; 04-14-2018 at 06:52. Reason: Update

Cplnorton, does the rear part of the knoble just drop down onto the rear reciever bridge or is there a clamp of some sort? There was a Van Wie mount similar to this one shown in Brophys book-the long bar part that spans the magazine was bent down slightly and acted as a spring to lock it in place. Brophy made no comment on how well it (or knoble) worked in practice.