Thread: Does Loctite go bad?

Default Does Loctite go bad?

Don't tend to use Loctite very often, but I had a need for the product recently so I squirted some of the red Loctite onto a piece of paper at my bench. The next day the Loctite was still in liquid form. Does the product lose its effectiveness over time? The tube I have must be at least 12 years old. Just a titewad's inquiry.
    "Wars are, of course, as a rule to be avoided; but they are far better than certain kinds of peace." - T.R.

I have some old "expired" bottles. Whatever comes put of them (still liquid) seems to lock things when applied. Loctite blue on Garand gas cylinders.

3. Default

Loctite only works when the exposure to Oxygen ends.
    I have a large squeeze bottle of heavy duty red that is 18 years old and still works fine. used it yesterday to lock on a 03A3 rear sight, solid today.
    Super glue has a shelf life of about a years, turns into a solid block.
    Last edited by PA28R200; 04-10-2018 at 03:34.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by PA28R200 View Post
    Super glue has a shelf life of about a years, turns into a solid block.
    Never had a tube last more than 6 mos. after first use.

Loctite bearing mount will be no good at the expiration date. We throw it out at work when it hits the date due to many problems in the past. Not sure about the thread locker, not as easy to check how well it has cured.

6. Default

I store Loctite, Superglue & nail polish in the fridge. Got some nail polish going on 35 years old, and superglue also lasts nearly forever when refrigerated.

leftyo Guest

the red and blue loctite doesnt seem to go bad. ive got a bottle of blue thats 20+yrs old and still good, and a tube of red thats maybe 10yrs that still works fine.

ive got a bottle of blue thats 20+yrs old and still good-
    How good? Looks good? Keeps the nuts from backing off good? Internet. Sheesh.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    Don't tend to use Loctite very often, but I had a need for the product recently so I squirted some of the red Loctite onto a piece of paper at my bench. The next day the Loctite was still in liquid form. Does the product lose its effectiveness over time? The tube I have must be at least 12 years old. Just a titewad's inquiry.
    Liam, Loctite doesn't set up until it is in a confined space, like screw threads. I don't know if it's the pressure or the anaerobic situation ... BTW, if you ever want to take something apart later on, use the blue loctite. As far as shelf life goes, I haven't a clue. I do know the stuff stays good for 4-5 years in an unheated workshop. ON firearms I use it to lock the mounting screws on receiver sights, like the miserable Pacific unit that fits Krags,

jn
    Last edited by jon_norstog; 04-11-2018 at 07:21.