Thread: Nice old Marlin

Default Nice old Marlin

Probably not worth $15,000 though. It's been on GB for weeks and weeks w/o meeting the reserve price. Someone finally found it.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/759808467

Very neat old rifle indeed, way out of my league.

Have had a Marlin Model 39 in my house since Easter. My sister-in-law's .22 that needed TLC after several decades of inattention. Never held one before Easter. Now, I am pretty familiar with it, having disassembled, cleaned, reblued some parts and tried to halt the rust I came across. Not a lever gun guy, but I appreciate them more now. On the gun listed on GB...what is "MARLIN SAFETY" engraved on top? AFAIK half-cock IS the safety. (?)
    "Wars are, of course, as a rule to be avoided; but they are far better than certain kinds of peace." - T.R.

Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    what is "MARLIN SAFETY" engraved on top? AFAIK half-cock IS the safety. (?)
    "A Marlin "trademark" was established a few years later when Marlin introduced the Model 1889, the first levergun to have a solid top and eject the empties out of the side of the receiver (the origin of the term "Marlin Safety"), instead of out the top (like Winchester leverguns). While 19th century levergunners weren't interested in mounting telescopic sights on their rifles, they did appreciate the fact that these new guns didn't toss hot brass into their faces (or down their shirt collars)"