Default Weaver KV 2 3/4x-5x with rangefinder reticle

Ok...Got a 1953 Winchester Model 70 in .30-06 and put an old weaver KV scope on it that has the rangefinder reticle. Optics are nice and clear, but I do not know how to use the rangefinder. Anyone here know how or has the instructions?

Thanks,

Jim

Given the age of the scope, about the best you can do is a google search and hope for the best. Another thought would be to simply take the rifle to a range and do firing tests at standard distances ... 100, 200, 300, etc. and see how the reticle compares to those distances. More than likely the range finder feature corresponds to the approximate size of a deer chest at the above ranges, possibly out to 500 yds. HTH. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Thanks Bruce, figured something along that line but was/is hoping someone who has/had one of these will chime in. My guess is a deer chest at 100 yards.

Jim

Does it have 2 horizontal crosshairs? Ones I have seen that "range find" do; and yes, a deer chest height is averaged. When a deers chest fills the space between the crosshairs ( using the power ring ) a corresponding yardage, marked on the power ring, is the approximate distance. This information tells you how far the target is and allows you to guestimate hold over.

HTH,

Emri

Yep, has the the two horizontal cross hairs...guess I'll take it to the range soon and play with it and maybe figure it out. Either way it will be fun.

Thanks,

Jim

Bob Bell mentions the two wires in his book, "The Gun Digest Book of Scopes and Mounts". According to him, the horizontal wires on Weaver's version of the Rangefinder reticle were 6moa apart, if that helps you any.
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 07-06-2018 at 04:30.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

I have a 1974 instruction sheet for my Weaver K1.5 scope; it reads;

"RANGE FINDER - has two horizontal wire, that are space 6"[six inches" @ 100 yds. for both the "K and KW" scope and in Variables @ the highest" power setting." So if the size of target is known 6", and that target fit between the wire then 100, is use a 12 target, then 200.

Will make a scan and sent id you PM me.