Thread: '06

Default '06

Hello all,
    I'm getting ready to load for my new to me 1955 all matching M1 Garand. I was wondering if anyone has a load that emulates M2 ball using these military cases and Sierra 150 gr FMJBTs. Looking at a number of different loading manuals I think either 49 Grs of IMR 4064 or 48 grs of IMR 4895 will be close. What say you all?
    Dave

The powder originally used for the M2 was the IMR 4895 with a 150 FMJ Flat Based bullet. Boat tails in the 150 range are in general a hit or miss with an M1 Garand. They work or they don't. A longer bearing surface is best. Both powders you listed work well with the M1. More a case to see which one your rifle likes best.

.30 M2 was IMR4895 with a 152 FMJ, flat based, bullet at 2800 fps. No more 152's available, of course. Any 150 grain load with about that velocity will do nicely. IMR4064 does give more consistent accuracy than either 4895 though. Way better with a 168 grain match bullet.
    Like Tuna says, it's more about your rifle than trying to match milsurp ammo. Loading for your rifle is kind of the point of reloading.
    48 grains of IMR4895 is below the current minimum load.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Thanks for the info Tuna.
    I read that the velocity of the M2 ball is 2800 fps. Do you think 48 grs of IMR 4895 will get me the 2800 fps I'm looking for? Maybe a little too hot?
    I may have some flat based 150's. I'll try those first if I do.
    I know I can use my Crony to find the right load, but I'm trying to keep the round count down on my as new, all matching, Garand. Was hoping someone would give me the load that hits the 2800fps mark in their Garand.
    Last edited by DaveL; 04-02-2018 at 10:57.

Over the years I have fired WW2 M2 ball in three different M1 Garands. All three have clocked almost identical speeds of 2700 fps with the last being 2700 on the nose. This was the same speed for 30-06 in WW1 too with a 150 FMJ flat base. If the 48 gr load doesn't get you there it's pretty close to it. Remember that the Garand was meant to be shot and with good care and maintenance your rifle will last a long time. Steel cleaning rods do as much if not more damage to the barrels then shooting it does.

Thanks again Tuna.
    I will shoot for 2700 instead of 2800. Then I'll tune the load to the gun. That should save me a few rounds through the Garand.
    The thing is so close to new I almost hate to shoot it...but I'm going to anyway. :-)
    I shot High Power matches locally for a few years using my M14SA, so I do know about the maintenance and lube requirements for these type rifles.
    And steel cleaning rods... don't I know it. I have an otherwise great shape, except for the end of the bore, IBM M1 carbine. I think the Koreans that had my carbine must have cleaned it every day with steel rods whether it needed it or not!

Jointed steel cleaning rods probably do the most damage. Where the rods screw together they normally have some overhang where the rod sections meet, and this makes a nice cutter for the muzzle.

Some of the Korean imports from several years ago would take a round almost up to the shoulder when inserted in the muzzle.