1. Default m1 carbine? help please

Serial # 144062, undated Marlin barrel adjustable rear sight that I do not want to hammer off. last letter of mfg name under sight appears to be a "W' . Stock has P in a box on heel of pistol grip, PJ in sling slot, nice crossed cannons on R side of stock any / all info appreciated thanks

leftyo Guest

my first guess is saginaw.

That serial number if on a USGI carbine is one assigned to Inland in their first block. If it was a Saginaw on the receiver it would have been followed by S'G' or S.G. in the same line. If you cannot read the name then try a piece of paper and a small pencil to rub over the name under the rear sight. Might get a name or even more letters.

Go here.
    http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/
    The rear sight should be peened in place anyway.
    Click on 'Manufacturers' and you find a good picture of what all the 'prime contractors' receiver stamps look like. Inland's is "Inland Div." I'd bet that's what you have. Especially given the S/N like Tuna says.
    Click on 'Parts', then the 'Barrel group' picture and scroll way down to 'The Government Free Issue Barrel Program". Down a bit more and you'll find info about the barrel. Saginaw Grand Rapids(the S'G' stamp) did not make barrels. Saginaw of Saginaw(the S.G. stamp) did. None of the 'prime contractors' made all the parts.
    The 'P' on the stock is just an acceptance mark. 99.99% of all Carbines went through a post-war arsenal rebuild.
    Spelling and grammar count!

C8FB1665-621A-4FE7-8E2A-321847DE8C36.jpg

I’m new to this forum. Attach a photo of my .30 Carbine. Winchester receiver...serial # 7269377. Saginaw SG Division General Motors Barrel. My research indicates the Carbine was mfg. in January, 1945. It is in excellent condition. The stock appears to be someone’s ‘sporterized’ replacement but is also in excellent condition. (Just happened to walk into a gun shop and there it was...on consignment for an extremely reasonable price!).

Your carbine dates to about August 1945 at the end of production. The SG marked barrel indicates it went through a rebuild in that the barrel at least was changed. Winchester made their own barrels. What can be seen in the photo looks real nice. A good find of a late production Winchester.

Default Rear sight "peened" in place?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    Go here.
    http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/
    The rear sight should be peened in place anyway.
    Click on 'Manufacturers' and you find a good picture of what all the 'prime contractors' receiver stamps look like. Inland's is "Inland Div." I'd bet that's what you have. Especially given the S/N like Tuna says.
    Click on 'Parts', then the 'Barrel group' picture and scroll way down to 'The Government Free Issue Barrel Program". Down a bit more and you'll find info about the barrel. Saginaw Grand Rapids(the S'G' stamp) did not make barrels. Saginaw of Saginaw(the S.G. stamp) did. None of the 'prime contractors' made all the parts.
    The 'P' on the stock is just an acceptance mark. 99.99% of all Carbines went through a post-war arsenal rebuild.
    I thought they were staked...

If your carbine went through a rebuild then the type 1 rear sight was replaced with an adjustable one. These were staked in place using a center type punch. If your carbine was peened over then the odds are it was not done by an armor and most likely by a previous owner. The P is not an acceptance mark. It is the P from proof firing the rebuilt carbine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    Your carbine dates to about August 1945 at the end of production. The SG marked barrel indicates it went through a rebuild in that the barrel at least was changed. Winchester made their own barrels. What can be seen in the photo looks real nice. A good find of a late production Winchester.
    Thanks for the information, Tuna! Indeed...the Carbine is pristine!! Compared to the ‘shot out’ one assigned to me in the Army, it’s accuracy is very good. The replacement barrel looks almost unused. Lucky find.
    I’m tempted to find a stock that’s more ‘authentic’ but then.....the existing stock is quite nice and is fitted well. 🤔