Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by bruce View Post
    Retrofit them for bicycles.
    WHY ???? Whose money? More land for right of way going to be seized for this?

We all know that roads are paid for with taxes raised from the sale of gasoline.

Bicycles do not use gasoline and hence do not contribute to the building and maintaining of the roads.

Ergo bicycles should not be allowed to use the roads.

All very fine until one realizes that pedestrians also do not contribute via taxes on fuel. Nobody suggests that pedestrians not be allowed to use the roads.

I think this is because we are all pedestrians but not all of us ride bicycles.

KTK

cyclist are looking for ways to force a driver to pay for a accident, etc. are just simply irrelevant.
    I'm sure you would quickly change your tune if you were sued for bumping into someone with your car even though the "staged" accident was unpreventable. I've seen it happen a lot, mostly with pedestrians. They see a car coming to a stop and deliberately step out in front of them. These are usually the Maxine Waters IQ caliber people and often miscalculate and end up with a squash instead of a slight bump. Most of the time the mishaps are not staged but still, if a motorist strikes a bicyclist for any unavoidable reason they are considered at fault till proven otherwise. The motorist are where they are supposed to be, the bicyclist not, so you don't always know they are present till it's too late. Not unlike a deer darting out in front of you.

People who have no place to ride a 4 wheelers might consider not buying one. The same applies to boats, skate boards and most of all bicycles. Motorist normally have enough to watch out for w/o having to babysit kids on bicycles.

With this type of attitude a person probably thinks all highways, roads and interstates should be shut down so a bunch of idiots can go play in the streets. If they weren't intended for other purposes and if the idiots paid for everything they might have a point otherwise.....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ken The Kanuck View Post
    Nobody suggests that pedestrians not be allowed to use the roads.
    When crossing the highways of course, that can't be helped, otherwise no but those that do walk the roads mostly have enough sense to step off the road till the car passes. I've never seen a pedestrian back up traffic for miles because they wouldn't get out of the way.
    Last edited by Allen; 03-29-2018 at 08:47.

4. Default

The big issue behind all those sorts of objections boils down to the simple fact that there are folks who want to do as they please while driving a vehicle without any concern for how it might affect anyone else.
    No! What those folks want is to be allowed to drive without the unnecessary hazards of trying to pass these idiots on narrow winding roads, or being hit by another driver in the opposite lane who's trying to pass another mob of them. For about 5 months of the year, my weekly 10 m. trip to the nearest grocery store has become a harrowing, as well as dangerous, ordeal! When I get home, usually in a state of complete mental & nervous exhaustion, my first act after opening the door is downing a big glass of wine in one gulp!

Furthermore, EVERYONE I know (which excludes yuppies & tourists) feels just about the same way, and there's no topic of casual conversation more common than "bad experiences" of one kind or another with bicycles!

Nobody alleged that cyclists are the only FAHs on the road--far from it. The brainless jerk going 45 in a 65 zone (no doubt with his cell to his ear) is just one more variety of that thoughtless & detestable breed.

The road that leads out of town to the mtns. is extremely busy on the wknds. There are bike lanes on both sides all the way out to the lake. But that's not enough. These guys have to ride past the lake and then onto the narrow two lane road with no bike lanes. So now you have the white knuckle experience of trying to squeeze past these guys who refuse to get off the edge of the pavement while a Big truck with a speedboat is coming at you from the other direction. They do get knocked into the ditch from time to time and I don't feel real sorry for them.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dryheat View Post
    They do get knocked into the ditch from time to time and I don't feel real sorry for them.
    If YOU do the knocking, better feel sorry for yourself! By law, it's automatically YOUR fault, regardless of what asshole behavior by the airhead cyclists led to the accident.

If some other unfortunate driver does the knocking, then you can cheer!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken The Kanuck View Post
    We all know that roads are paid for with taxes raised from the sale of gasoline.

Bicycles do not use gasoline and hence do not contribute to the building and maintaining of the roads.

Ergo bicycles should not be allowed to use the roads.

All very fine until one realizes that pedestrians also do not contribute via taxes on fuel. Nobody suggests that pedestrians not be allowed to use the roads.

I think this is because we are all pedestrians but not all of us ride bicycles.

KTK
    Ken, in my area bicycles are on the road because they are more a hazard to pedestrians on the sidewalks. It's unlawful for an adult to ride on walkways. The tickets carry the same weight and penalties as those operating motor vehicles.
    The areas which have bike lanes are a mess because the lane takes up traffic space, therefore adding to congestion even on days when there are no bikes to be seen. They (politicians) tried to solve a very real problem by creating a total clusterf**k. The city has simply run out of room!

I try to time my rides in the off hours of heavy traffic, Taking side streets to my destination since the main roads are...well, dangerous. I can get to a park before the dog walkers take over and get in as many laps as possible. 1 full lap = 1 mile. Then the dog walkers come out and there are 'tripwires' attached to pooches across the ways so even the joggers can't function. Riders and joggers seem to get along fairly well as far as sharing and courtesies are concerned.
    Option 2 is to ride or drive to a wooded destination with bike trails going for miles or linking up with other trails where I might ride interstate if I chose to. Notice I underlined bike trails? A-hole yuppies will still clog the trails with leashes and toddlers thinking THEY have the absolute right-of-way and have even tried to have bicycles banned in certain parts. They want to picnic along the trails. That is until they decide its time to ride their own bikes.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

I just saw where the 'security driver' in that test car was asleep at the wheel. So the so-called driverless car had a mishap due to human error. Ironic. They will not admit robo-cars technology is not as advanced as it needs to be.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Dallas, TX metro.. formerly Phoenix metro, AZ

Watch a student walking and talking and there is an accident waiting to happen. I have had them walk out right in front of me, not bothering to look in any direction oblivious to their AO.
    Sam
    need a few extra REQUIRED college undergrad courses to graduate:
    101 walking ..............hey johny and sally, you need to look BOTH ways before you cross the street.
    201 advanced walking...............hey johny and sally, you need to stay off that da*ned cell phone while walking across the street and in grocery store parking lots.
    101 bicycling....hey megyn and cooper....you need to stay in the bicycle path
    201 advanced bicycling.....hey megyn and cooper ..........you need to OBSERVE traffic laws like motorized vehicles do....stop for the RED LIGHT, go on the GREEN light AFTER LOOKING FOUR ways!!!
    301 super advanced bicycling............hey megyn and cooper....you need to STAY OFF the cell phone while riding your bicycle.

(these courses will be repeated and required for your MS and PHD degrees...the course will remain the same the numbers will change 101 becomes 111, 201 becomes 211, for the PHD they become 311, etc, the tuition doubles for the MS program and triples for the PHD program)
    Last edited by Former Cav; 04-02-2018 at 06:33.