Default early rear sight slide

The Rock Island s/n 64145 has a RIA 3-07 dated barrel, note the square left side of the slide
    which appears to be a carry-over from the early slide. The back of the leaf is also without
    the top rib.

The Springfield s/n is 160963 with a SA 2-07 dated barrel, it has the common slide with the
    round corners. DSCN2244.jpg

Thank you for sharing this!

3. Default

Very interesting!

4. Default

Great to hear from you.

Was the slight variation in slide numerals on the low end due to arsenal tooling differences or some other intriguing reason?

Default early rear sight

I think the early rear sight slide and sight leaf are left over parts from the 2400 yard sight on the M1905
    rifle, they must have had some blank sight leafs and use the new 2800 yard scale on them. Also think
    these are Rock Island.

Over the years I use to buy the CMP auction four digit receivers and barreled actions to build up with
    early parts. These are not worth a lot but interesting to build up.

My photos show a Rock Island four digit also with the early rear sight slide and early leaf, not the top rib
    is not on the leaf. P1010017_0017.jpgP1010018_0018.jpg
    Last edited by RCS; 03-28-2018 at 07:12.

Is it really an early version change, or just a mfr or arsenal making a change to the blueprint? Variations in the makrings sexit in the font of the cut off switch, and were produced at different mfr sites at approx the same time.

RHB