Threaded View

1. Default 16,7XX Krag with 1896 cartouche

I own one Krag. I've had it for several years, and something about it has always bugged me, so I thought I'd finally ask.

It's serial number is 16,7XX (not hiding, just in the safe right now). The stock has a curved toe, butt plate w/ trap, and cleaning rod channel that has been filled. The stock also has a very clear 1896 cartouche, which seems kind of late for the serial number.

The cartouche is so clear that I don't think the rifle was in service before being converted to M1896 (the receiver has the hold open notch).

But the fact that it was converted so early, I think suggests that it was an Army rifle.

What do I have? Was this originally built as a M1892 and then for some reason retained at Springfield for a year or so until inspected, and then another year until converted?

Is it an anomaly early receiver built in late 1895 and inspected in 1896 as a "magazine rifle" and then converted?

Is something else going on here?

If specific photos will help, let me know. When I received the rifle it had a M1892 sight that had obviously not been with the rifle very long. I replaced that with a M1896. The bolt group is standard M1896. But the bolt group finish compared to the rest of the rifle makes me think it may be a later replacement also.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

V/R,
    Matt
    Last edited by Matt_E_Wright; 03-23-2018 at 06:42. Reason: Addl info