Thread: Fire forming

1. Default Fire forming

Hi,

Can someone (or several people) give me both general and specific info on fire-forming cases in a RPR 6.5CM?

Specific info: Fire forming new, unfired cases...specific recipes. I'm fireforming once-fired HDY brass...except I FL resized it because it was fired in someone else's gun. I read on the internet 20 grains of Power Pistol with cream of wheat on top. Any comments? Alternate recipes?

General info: Powder selection and charge weights. In general. For example...what should be used... fast burning powder like Red Dot, WST, or 231? Or a little slower pistol powder like Power Pistol and similar speed powders?

Thanks.

2. Default

If your brass is 6.5 Creedmoor and you're reloading it as 6.5 Creedmoor, you don't need to separately fireform it. You said you've already full length resized it, just load it and shoot it.

Just load with your standard 6.5 loads. Fire forming is done every time you shoot your rifle. I would not let anything like Power Pistol get anywhere my rifle loading gear. Anything faster than IMR-4895 and you are asking for trouble. I have been using 35 gr of Varget in my recent 6.5 Creedmoor loads. You need to find what works for your rifle.

Same advice I wouldn’t fire form 6.5CM to shoot in a 6.5CM. You won’t get any bang for the buck shooting a factory rifle, just load it and shoot it. Guys with custom builds trying to shoot bug holes might eeek out a little accuracy. H4350 is a popular powder in the 6.5 arena. My 260 likes H4831.

"...because it was fired in someone else's gun..." FL resizing is all you need to do. Fire forming is for making a cartridge out of another. No need to do that with once fired or BNIB brass. Even when it's other people's brass.
    Spelling and grammar count!