Default Question for KTK

I was reading in the paper today that Canada is proposing some new gun laws. I thought you guys had a national gun registry but the article said that was phased out a while ago. The new law supposedly isn't bringing that back but there will be limits on "certain types" of long guns. And it mentioned the national gun license? Eh?

The article said that First Nations people are mostly against any more rules - most of the N8ve people I have kept in touch with are against anything that looks it might might disarm them, at least the grassroots/traditional types.

Here's the aRticle https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/20/w...n-control.html

Just curious, but also I think the current gun control movement may have some legs. A lot of people want to see something done but they don't know what that something is. "What do we want?" "We don't know!" "When do we want it?" "RIGHT NOW!!!"

So what happens in Canada may show up on the national agenda here.

jn
    Last edited by jon_norstog; 03-21-2018 at 08:17.

HI Jon,

I have read a little on this subject and from what I can see is that the gun owners are screaming more BS and the anti's are screaming not enough. We repealed the Liberals long gun registry when the Conservatives were in power. Even the Liberals had to finally admit that it was just a giant waste of money, since the criminals do not obey the laws and the law abiding gun owners are not the problem. What basically came about is that when you buy a gun you must show that you have a firearms license but this information was not recorded. It does not appear that this has changed (except if you live in Quebec).

So besides the nose of the camel in the tent nothing has much changed. But never the less we need to be constantly on guard of end runs by the Liberals and their gun hating buddies.

In Canada as in the United States the fight is far from over. From my point of view (which is based upon age) it seems that when there were less laws and restrictions such as when I was young there was less gun violence. Hence to my simple point of view it would appear that the problem with gun violence does not lie with gun ownership but rather a sad deterioration of respect that we humans have for another and for ourselves.

I do not know what has caused this deterioration but the result seems to be more hatred and self loathing, causing some folks to wish to hurt others.

Hopefully this will change.

KTK

"...you must show that you have a firearms license..." Junior has added that dealers must keep a record of who bought what as well. That's defacto registration. More useless legislation that will do nothing. Just like his daddy's FAC back in 1978(that was supposed to end all crime involving firearms.). Junior's daddy also let thousands of convicted criminals(some who were in jail at the time. Manley of Jamaica emptied his jails and sent 'em all here.) into the country. And Chrétien let thousands of Chinese gang bangers in in 1999.
    Spelling and grammar count!

4. Default

I figure the Canadian govt. tells the same B.S. about no records being kept as does our govt. Here , they can go back years and show who purchased a firearm , but they tell us there are no registration of guns . While it may not be a registration of all guns , the ones bought and sold through dealers certainly are registered .
    Kenneth

When a FFL dealer, C&R , etc. gives up his license his records (bound book) must be sent to ATF. They have people putting these records into a computer data base. They also have records of new guns from factory to dealers. So they find a gun at a crime seen, go to maker, get dealers name and then go to the dealer. Yes, we have a national registration, its just not direct. The original law sated that the records could not be put into a data base, either that's changed or they are ignoring the law.
    You can never go home again.

Dallas, TX metro.. formerly Phoenix metro, AZ

I remember prior to 1980 you had to SIGN for ammo and give your drivers license info etc in the Peoples Democratic Republic of Minnesota!!

Quote Originally Posted by Former Cav View Post
    I remember prior to 1980 you had to SIGN for ammo and give your drivers license info etc in the Peoples Democratic Republic of Minnesota!!
    We had the same in Illinois using the FOID. In Chicago, Sears stores forced you to sign a statement that you would not use the ammunition in a handgun.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**