Thread: Power comparison of different rounds....................??

Default Power comparison of different rounds....................??

I am considering purchasing a replica 1873 Winchester rifle, not sure yet by whom or the caliber. I am looking for a good used one first.
    Have found a couple in different calibers and need to know more about which is most powerful, as I know I will eventually end up hunting deer with what ever I end up with.
    I like the idea of a 357mag only cause I can let my grandsons plink with 38 special rounds.
    44-40 is probably most traditional, which I like
    45Long Colt is an option as I have found a used one in that caliber.
    Any knowledge or info as to which is the most powerful would be appreciated?
    Thanks

I’d go with the 45 Colt!

The 44-40 is a PITA to reload for . . . (the cases will buckle if you squint your eyes some)!

Plus, the 45 Colt is about the best . . . . of those three calibers . . . . for hunting, as it will leave a good blood trail, especially with a SWC bullet.

"...44-40 is a PITA to reload..." Yep. Cases are supposedly very thin and slightly bottle necked.
    "...plink with .38 Special..." A lot of .357 lever actions dislike feeding .38's. Something to do with the length. You can always load .357 cases to .38 velocities though.
    .45 Colt can be downloaded too. It'd be far better than .357 for deer as well.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Just remember the action is not the strongest. When Win. came out with the m-92 and started loading smokless later, ammo boxes had a warning not to be used in M1873 rifles. Does this apply to the Italian repro's? Don't know. This months AR mag has an article on reloading for 44-40. I have one from years ago (repro) have never shot it, did some reloads week ago, so this summer----I hope! I think it cost around 2 bills back then.
    If you set dies correctly and be sure bullet is centered in case and not tilted you should have no problem.
    You can never go home again.

Friends,
    I appreciate all the information. I am trying to determine which caliber gun to purchase??
    The 45 LC are allot cheaper. BUT are they powerful enough to hunt deer with? I always thought that was a pistol round? Knowing that they are all available in pistols.
    Is there anywhere I can see a chart to compare ballistics??
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Friends,
    I appreciate all the information. I am trying to determine which caliber gun to purchase??
    The 45 LC are allot cheaper. BUT are they powerful enough to hunt deer with? I always thought that was a pistol round? Knowing that they are all available in pistols.
    Is there anywhere I can see a chart to compare ballistics??
    Thanks
    A 44 Magnum will sure kill a deer and you can shoot 44 Specials in it or just handload reduced 44 Mag loads. The brass is thick too so they're easy to reload.

I see them available in the 1873 and 1892 replica's and the Marlin 1894. I have Rossi '92's in the blued and SS 357's and 44mag. Henry might make them too?

Here's a ballistic chart. 38spl and 45LC not too common on rifles so its not on the rifle chart but you can click on the handgun ballistic heading and see a comparison there. Not real accurate to compare rifle/vs pistol but it will give you some idea.

http://gunnersden.com/index.htm.rifl...allistics.html
    Last edited by Allen; 03-23-2018 at 08:35.

My hunting buddy uses a Rossi Carbine and a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 LC. He has filled his tags regularly and we don’t track his stuff very far. He is running cast bullets loaded to the max, the recipe I do not remember. 45 LC kills Kansas Whitetail just fine
    Last edited by p246; 03-24-2018 at 12:18.

"...BUT are they powerful enough to hunt deer..." Yes. Long before there was anything else, deer were killed with no fuss using BP cartridges. The .45 Colt is about big things going slow. Big things going slow will kill deer with no fuss. The muzzle loading guys have been doing it for centuries.
    "...a chart to compare ballistics..." Here. Isn't really ballistics though. There's no bullet drop or any energy info at any range but the muzzle. Mostly just velocities by barrel length.
    http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/45colt.html
    Spelling and grammar count!

I have killed deer with .45 Colt rounds loaded to SAAMI standard, 14,000 CUP from a 5 1/2" barreled Ruger and a Colt New Service with a similar barrel length. At that level, a wide flat nose or Keith-style bullet will go clean through a deer and break any bones it encounters. Figure a carbine length barrel to add about 200 fps, and it should flatten anything in the woods.

east of Eden in the land of Nod on the boulevard of broken dreams

I'm all in for the 45 long colt , but you need to realize most of the factory loads for a 45 long colt are downloaded because of all the old guns in that caliber .

You really need to handload to get to their true potential , they are an awesome round in full power .
    Last edited by ray55classic; 03-31-2018 at 05:45.
    Hang the bitch , because simply fading away shouldn't be an option
    "Les Deplorables"