Default German Rifle scope- sniper?

A friend purchase a rifle with this scope. It has a military type reticle in it and was wondering if it could be a military scope from WWII or just a post war hunting scope. Does anyone have any ideas ? I think those in know can determine when it was used by the type and serial number. Regards
    CEAA97FA-A561-4AFB-853D-37C2D177CFED.jpg

Blog Entries

The 1939 Shooter's Bible has a listing for a Hensoldt Dialytan scope at a price of $75.00. I was available with a post crosshair or pointed picket crosshair reticle. The power was 4X. Steel tube model had a 26mm tube. It was available in a lightweight version with a 27.5MM tube for $88.00. Those were very expensive scopes in 1938, when the catalog was copyrighted. The scope mount assembly seems to be a Griffin and Howe with windage adjustment, another expensive item. I think the scope dates to pre-WWII and has no connection with sniping. What kind of rifle is it mounted on?
    Last edited by Herschel; 03-19-2018 at 02:24.

I have thousands of pages of sniper documents from about 1909 to 1950's for both the Army and Marines.

I don't have any mention of a Hensoldt Dialytan scope even in the Sniper rifle trials. Which you see a lot of different styles of scopes trialed in those.

Actually I take that back. I was wrong. I went back and looked. I have a lot on one tested in 1923. But it details it as a 2.75X Hensoldt Direct scope that was mounted on the M1903 in a Noske mount. It appears like this one, but maybe is an earlier model scope? I honestly know very little about foreign scopes. But a Hensoldt scope was trialed on a M1903.
    Last edited by cplnorton; 03-19-2018 at 05:17.

5. Default

Your scope is a commercial scope. It was never used on a military rifle, or on a SS rifle. Since these scopes were made not consecutively serialized it is my personal belief the pictured scope dates to post WWII.

The reason for this is the fact that the Dialytan scopes which predate WWII were different. The WWII scopes were advanced versions of the Dialytan scopes with a different turret housing and less brass used. The pictured scope basically resembles the WWII military pattern, aside of different markings and again having the focal adjustment which is a civilian feature. So therefore I'm pretty sure your scope is made post WWII using the parts and knowledge aquired during the manufacture of military scopes in WWII, but adding the focal adjustment and again using the full manufacturers name. The fact that it is mounted on a post WWII scope mount by the way supports this theory.

Edit: the "military reticle" is probably the most popular reticle over here in Europe. You still can get this reticle nowadays.

Edit2 for Steve: Hensoldt produced Dialytan named scopes already in WWI. The British PPCo scope for the Pattern 1914 are a copy of the German scope. It is basically a name but used for many different versions which saw lots of evolution over the years (compare it to the "Colt 1911 Pistol" - the ones made in 1911 are different from the ones made during WWII and even more different from those made until nowaday)
    Last edited by Promo; 03-20-2018 at 03:50.

Thanks all, I have been told it was probably manufactured in the late 40's early 50's by someone who knows scopes (confirms your replies). It is mounted with a Griffin and Howe mount on a custom Mauser rifle. Just thought I would check as I know people have done some interesting things with bring backs, if that is what it is. Regards,

Makes perfect sense Georg. Yeah, I know nothing of these scopes. I really didn't remember it honestly till I went back and looked.

But in the testing they did give a good review though.