Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

If you go metal roofing I suggest you talk to your insurance company because some insurers do not cover buildings with metal roofs.

2. Default

Gosh , I can't go metal roofing, the HOA Nazi's forbid it.

Need some input from you all on Shingles please.

Thanks

3. Default

I had the original 3 tab asphalt shingle roof on my house replaced a couple of years ago. It was a 15 year roof that lasted 30 years, pure luck in my opinion. I had GAF architectural shingles put on, you can't get 3 tab anymore and the architectural are better. This isn't my first roof and I always get the old one stripped off so that I can get new roofing felt and new flashing on all the penetrations, chimney, and valleys. There are better roofing felts available now other than the old black paper, these are worth it in my book. Having the old roof torn off costs but your new roof will last MUCH longer and the actual water proofing is done by the roofing felt and flashing. I can't remember how many squares my roof is but I got quotes from $5k to $30k for an asphalt shingle roof. The high bids came from contractors selling magic secret sauce and the low bids came from guys that had questionable reviews and references. I picked a contractor for $7k that tore off the old roof, used good roofing felt, new flashing, and new gutters and downspouts. They also put in additional turtle vents, those will keep your attic vented and make the roof last longer. Whoever you narrow down to, check their references. A few phone calls help. These guys were good, complete job done in 3 days. They were always there when they said they'd be and I only found two nails on the ground from the tear off.

4. Default

Sir,

What brand of shingle do you recommend ? Theres a lot of noise that CertainTeed is problematic.

- I have extreme prejudice against CertainTeed due to the failure...absolute TOTAL failure of their organic shingles.-

Organic shingles? Are they made from soy?
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

6. Default

Sir, yes, I noted your comments fully. I got one contractor with a bid using this brand and I am worried
    although I don't think his bid has "organic" shingles....but I best ask !!!

Unfortunately this is a well known local roofer with high ratings and the lowest bid on my house. Granted the bids I have had are off the charts crazy so I'm not certain I have a good shot pattern on what my roof will really cost me yet.

I am hoping guys here can validate good brands of shingles for me.
    Last edited by BlitzKrieg; 03-18-2018 at 10:25.

One of the most damage caused to shingles is heat from inside the attic roof. Be sure to get a ridge vent, end to end on the top. Those metal vent housings are NOT enough! My roof showed much damage between those vents, showing the roof beams trap heat where there is no vent. 20 years I got from my first roof, had Owens best installed 2 year ago. Roofer recommended them, 5 nails per shingle, 30 year wind warrantee. Be enough time for me at my age!
    You can never go home again.

8. Default

Thank you Dave. 5 nail per shingle and Owens best shingles recommended. That helps !!

30 yr. for wind damage only. You have to read the warranty, I am sure there is a web site.
    You can never go home again.

The CertainTeed shingles on my roof curled up looking as though we had a fire. Fortunate for me they blew off when they did.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**