Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default M1 Glass Bedding

I want to try and save a very nice but useless GI stock by glass bedding and to duplicate the job seen in the included pic. I have the complete armory instructions to follow but for bedding material the instructions say; "Materials required for glass bedding are commercially available employing an epoxy resin, milled fiberglass, polyamide resin and catalysts."

Can anyone here make that a little less general or point me to a supplier?

basebed.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is what i used when i did it i also floated the front hand guard and sanded the ring on the gas cylinder so it would not touch the barrel

https://www.brownells.com/search/ind...ding&ksubmit=y

3. Default

I used to only file the bottom of the gas cylinder so that it wouldn't touch the barrel. I felt the slight pressure at the top helped prevent any horizontal movement.

That was just me.... but the last 2 M1's I built using SA 63 and 65 barrels would hold an inch and a quarter at 100 yds
    Last edited by Sandpebble; 03-14-2018 at 02:03.

Blog Entries

Brownell's Steel Bed kit, or Accura Glas kit or AccraGel. Make sure the kit has metal or fiberglass particles included. There are ample instructions on bedding in the American Rifleman, and reprints are available from CMP. Search for an article series by R.Craig Johnson, "Accurizing An M1 Garand"

1+ for accurglass. I, ve bedded and fixed many stocks with it. In addition to the above mentioned articles there are many u tube videos one can watch. Some better than others. Just take your time read the instructions, as getting the mixture wrong can cost you (sets up too fast or never). Make sure to get release agents an every portion you don’t want it to stick to. That job is pretty straight forward and not a bad project to get your feet wet on. Good luck

I just had a Garand I got from the DCM in 1995 re barrelled last year after 5-6k rounds of my shooting the 1945 GI barrel. I had it Acurraglassed in 1997, which has held up well enough that the new Criterion barrel shoots x ring w/o any touchup to the stock.

Bisonite, Acralas,, Devcon [aluminum or steel] and in a pinch JBWeld, BUT make SURE whatever used minimum of two coats of release agent.

Locate Kuhnhausen's' book of the M1, M14 &M1A, for good information on glass bedding procedures.

Got an M1A going onto a thick walled M14 stock, shortly.

8. Default

Thanks everyone, looks like Acraglas is what I will order...along with Kuhnhausen's book.

Buy the Acraglas kit. Runs about $30 in your local gun shop or Amazon. Has instructions on the box. Follow 'em religiously. Each kit will do 2 bolt action rifles as I recall. So it doesn't take much material to do an M1.
    "...and catalysts..." It's really just 2 part epoxy. The catalysts are in the hardener. Whole thing is easier to do that it appears.
    JBWeld is just epoxy with metal instead of fibreglass.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Last time @ CampPerry, was from a USMC Armorer, as a quick fix situation.

Did a second M1 with 7.62 barrel, followed the Kuhnhausen bible and Bisonite [again, courtesy of the USMC armorer suggestion] got a NICE shooter for NMC course of fire!