Default I'm so confused !! A3 stock ID

And I thought Vinny Barbarino had problems !!

According to Poyers' 3rd edition revised and expanded my A3 Remington has a SC stock. But inspector marks forward of the trigger guard don't jive with Remington marks and don't show they are for SC verses the manufacture mark M for SC above the Proof mark "P" is there. SC shows a diamond with numbers in them. The 1903.com says FJA is only new manufactured Remingtons.

FJA is with a cross cannon but the rebuild is absent. I read to that the Cross Cannon is supposed to be to the right of FJA but is to the left. And FJA is post 3,280,000..I'm at 4.024.
    Last edited by milboltnut; 03-11-2018 at 08:43.
    For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

Let's go through this a step at a time ... pictures would also be a good idea:

1) Look at the recess for the lower band spring - the end nearest the barrel; is it "squared" off or rounded?

2) What EXACTLY are the inspection stamps forward of the trigger guard? (again, a picture would be VERY helpful!). There are normally anywhere from 4 to 6 stamps, consisting of geographical shapes with numbers in the shapes. If there is a "diamond, the stock is an SC. What marks are on yours?

FJA is seen on Remingtons going back to ca. 3,200,000 - considerably earlier than the 3,280,000 you mention.
    Last edited by Rick the Librarian; 03-12-2018 at 08:07.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

1. yes the lower band spring...it's squared off.... so that indicates it's a Remington.

2. Inspection stamps...circle 11, triangle 1, square 89, and another circle and number I can't make out.

FJA is seen on Remingtons going back to ca. 3,200,000 - considerably earlier than the 3,280,000 you mention
    Guess Poyers research is as in depth as I thought ! Appreciate your input Rick.
    For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

N.E. New Jersey, west of the 'gorllia' building.

The fastest way to identify RA and SC 03A3 stocks is by the size of the proof "P" .. RA is the small one SC is the large one. Once your see both they stand out like a sore thumb...

Tom,

don't tell me, you got that from Poyer, right?

The P says it's R and the circle says it's SC, how's that?
    Last edited by milboltnut; 03-14-2018 at 05:17.

N.E. New Jersey, west of the 'gorllia' building.

No, I 'got that' from the fact that I have both types of '03A3s and the size of the circled proof 'P' is obvious.

okie doke
    Last edited by milboltnut; 03-15-2018 at 03:32.

Circle diameter Rem. 7/16th"
    Circle diameter S/C 1/2"
    Last edited by pickax; 03-16-2018 at 04:43.

a buddy just showed me his proof stamp on his SC.... larger circle.