Default My Kiwi internet friend is getting hit in the forehead with M-1 brass

He is getting them right above the running lights. It's a rebarreled to 7.62 one. I remember the solution is a stronger or weaker ejector spring - I think it's a weaker one; like, cut a coil or two off.... which is it??
    Last edited by Griff Murphey; 03-07-2018 at 08:19.

2. Default

It's been some time ago that I had a similar problem with a 7.62 converted Garand (GI barrel) but in my case the brass ejected to the rear. I believe I shortened the ejector spring by one coil to resolve the issue. Don't be too aggressive in changing the length though and have a spare handy.

The rifle has to be lubed correctly too. However, it's reduce the tension on the ejector spring by clipping a coil or 2 off it's length one coil at a time until it works right. The diameter of the gas hole matters too. Should be .092 to .101 inches. They usually run about 1/10" though.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Thanks!

leftyo Guest

could be a multitude of problems. my first thought is that the rifle is warning him its time to put new springs in it. then go after extractor/ejector tuning.

Detail the bolt and lube lightly with "Super Lube" grease, new springs and shorten new ejector to approach the M14 ejector length, [half coil at a time].

keep us posted/

You could change the ejector plunger from an M1 type to M14 type with extra bevels on the point and a stronger extractor spring.

What's happening is the rifle is ejecting too soon, too vigorously. The bolt is moving straight back, and if the case ejects too soon or too vigorously, the case will continue more or less straight back.

If ejection occurs slightly later or softer, the case will still be in the receiver when the bolt starts forward, and the cam hump will strike the case and drive it to the right front. In a properly-timed M1, you should find brass markings on the cam hump.

9. Default

If a new USGI op rod spring does not work, try a M14 ejector plunger.

10. Default

It might be that the Kiwi nation being really down under, it makes sense that your friend is being hit in the head by ejected shells. Ask him which direction water drains down the sink, toilet etc., it is counterclockwise. There is a great Simpsons epissode which deals with this. If anyone wants a scientific reference.