Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Discovery of USS LEXINGTON CV-2 including TBD Torpedo planes

You probably have heard that Paul Allen has found the ship on the bottom of the Coral Sea. As a war grave rivaling the ARIZONA and INDIANAPOLIS it's a huge national treasure. It's a World War Two battlefield with a jumble of aircraft on the ocean floor nearby. So far they have found 11 aircraft, including many Douglas TBD Devastators. There are no Devastators in any museums although some have been found in very fragile condition. At the depth they are in, recovery would be difficult but considering how good many of them look, I will wager Paul Allen will try. There is a jumble of them with wings folded. They would have fallen off of the ship as it went down but would likely have sunk at a slower rate than the ship. Combat veteran F-4-F Wildcats have also been found.

My understanding is that he has stated he will not enter the ship... But the TBD's are outside.

Torpedo squadron 8 off of USS HORNET was nearly wiped out flying the slow, obsolete TBDs in the Battle of Midway. One of the tactics used early in the war by our carriers was to deploy "scouting squadron" SBD dive bombers as anti torpedo plane patrols against Jap B5N Kate torpedo planes. The SBD's had proven capable of intercepting TBD's in prewar exercises. But thet did not work too well because the Kate was 93 mph faster than the TBD.

DIVE BOMBER with old Errol Flynn, filmed at NAS North Island in Technicolor, has some great film of pre WW-2 USN aircraft including the TBD.
    Last edited by Griff Murphey; 03-06-2018 at 06:31.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Griff Murphey View Post
    DIVE BOMBER with old Errol Flynn, filmed at NAS North Island in Technicolor, has some great film of pre WW-2 USN aircraft including the TBD.
    During the '20s & '30s, US armed forces had little to do, and were woefully underfunded by Congress, so an easy way to build up public awareness & support, & attract recruits, was to co-operate with Hollywood--which the War Dept. did to a degree that today seems amazing. Some of the most fascinating documentary footage surviving today of long lost ships & planes is to be found in such films as this one.

Where else, for ex., can you see close up motion pictures of such an obscure (but adorable) Navy fighter as the Grumman F3F than in Wings of the Navy, 1939? (By which time it was already obsolete.) And who knew the fuselage contained a large cargo compartment? Also shown are the earliest Catalinas, another favorite of mine.

Thought there some TBD off Chicago? What was general condition of the Lexington?

Quote Originally Posted by jjrothWA View Post
    Thought there some TBD off Chicago? What was general condition of the Lexington?
    Don't know what shape they might be in. They salvaged a Wildcat for display at O'Hare Intl. and restored it in Butch O'Hare's markings same as from the action he was awarded the MOH. Ironically he was defending the Lexington that day.

**sorry, forgot to provide you with a link in regard to your question:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburb...525-story.html
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Quote Originally Posted by jjrothWA View Post
    AFAIK no TBDs have been found in Lake Michigan. I suspect the reason is they were pretty much expended in combat. it was a 200 mph plane woefully inadequate in combat and any survivors would not have been useful on those two paddle steamers they converted to training carriers. They did find an SB2U Vindicator in Lake Michigan and that is restored and in the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola. I've seen the Lake Michigan F-4-F at O'Hare in Butch's colors. For Christmas my daughter gave me the new Park flyer by E-Flite, nice 22" span rc electric in his colors. Lake Michigan has been a treasure trove of preserved WW2 naval aircraft. Several of the F-4-Fs and SBDs that have been salvaged have confirmed combat histories. But... so far, no TBDs.

Kind of hard to tell much about Lexington's general appearance from the snippets of video... I do not know if her trademark Island with that huge stack arrangement survived the sinking. Then we torpedoed it to avoid the possibility of it being captured by the Japanese. It took a lot of damage and there were many explosions on her. I am surprised the planes are in as good condition as they are.
    Last edited by Griff Murphey; 03-07-2018 at 02:10.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Griff Murphey View Post
    Lake Michigan has been a treasure trove of preserved WW2 naval aircraft.
    Watched a program (History Channel or NatGeo) on recovery of one of them. Said it was crucial to find & recover others before zebra mussels permanently ruined them, because something in the way they attach themselves eats away at the metal.

Blog Entries

The Navy is very aggressive about leaving things rot in place.

8. Default

If she's deep she's safe. Many wrecks in shallower waters have been disappearing due to salvagers.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jaie5070 View Post
    If she's deep she's safe.
    If you mean the Marianas Trench, that's true. But few, if any, places in the Great Lakes are too deep for the destructive mussels that foreign trade has brought us.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by clintonhater View Post
    If you mean the Marianas Trench, that's true. But few, if any, places in the Great Lakes are too deep for the destructive mussels that foreign trade has brought us.
    I believe that he was referencing the Lex.