Default standard issue front sight blade (battle sight) ?

I have a .045... is this standard issue battle sight? In conjunction with the rear sight ladder? With M2 ball ammo.

Been doing a search but don't come up with anything...

Read on "description on rules and management" and it only says there are 11 blades.
    Last edited by milboltnut; 03-05-2018 at 01:50.
    For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

2. Default

milboltnut--

I sent you a detailed PM on the subject. For everybody reading this post. It could be anyone of the 11 blades listed to zero the M1917. The problem arises when during the WWII rebuild programs little or no attention was paid to re-zeroing the M1917 if a new barrel was fitted.

Guess I 'll buy all of them !!! LOL
    Last edited by milboltnut; 03-05-2018 at 06:34.
    For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

Obtain the tallest sight available. Target the rifle at 200 yds. File the front sight down till the rifle is zeroed. With common ball ammo, the rifle will then shoot to the sights at the ranges on the rear sight. This is about the simplest way to zero any military rifle for ball ammo. It eliminates having to repeatedly install/remove/install various front sights until one hits upon the one that will best work. Perhaps it will be close. Buy filing the front sight, POI can be adjusted to more precisely match POA. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Sounds like a plan !

Here's something I was debating about with flip down ladder sights.

I can't find it on the web PDF... The lowest setting on the ladder is 200 yds. What's the peep with the ladder folded down ranged to? Heard 450 yards.... doesn't make sense. Care to explain?

Here's Culvers write up from a 2003 ODCMP article...http://www.odcmp.org/503/rifle.pdf

Rear Sight is of the “leaf” design graduated
    from 200 – 1600 yards. Graduations are in
    multiples of 100-yards from 200 – 900-yards,
    and in multiples of 50-yards from 900 – to
    1600-yards. When folded forward so that the
    leaf is laying flat, the battle sight aperture is
    automatically raised to expose the battle sight
    peep.
    Never knew that 900 -1600 the graduations were only 50 yards !
    Last edited by milboltnut; 03-06-2018 at 06:09.

M-1917 battle sight = 400 yds. With the sight left raised, it was zeroed from 200 - 900 yds. in 100 yd. increments. Beyond that the adjustments were 50 yd. increments out to 1600 yds. HTH. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

yeah Thanks Bruce, just read it in Ferris' book.

For my shooter, I got a Danish front sight that uses a roll pin and saved the original sight in case I ever sell the rifle.

Set mine so it hit 2 inches high at 100 yards with the ladder down. Also, have a little tool that pushes the front sight so I could tweak the horizontal with micrometer precision.

For a higher front sight, a guy can use the Bren Gun front sight that runs higher. I used the Danish because roll pins are cheap if a guy messes up.

thank you all for your input ! It's greatly appreciated, especially fjruple.

I can not see the sights great, ok, I could hit a deer at 300, but fine shooting? nope.

So I just use the black ball (working on an orange ball in the middle that seems to work ok if the sun is behind)

Then I shoot bottom of the ball if I am high (using the flip up, I have the peep filled in which makes better accuracy) and if low, I shoot the organ ball in the middle as best I can.

Note on Peep Sight Fill In: I learned the trick from my brother, he is better at it than I am, but I wanted to see what worked best so I filled in full then opened up with a drill a size at a time until I got what worked best. JB weld or other type epoxy, I use a steel filler that I had.

I have the screws out of the flip ups so I can move that one from gun to gun.
    Last edited by RC20; 03-10-2018 at 09:41.