Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 10 inch boots that have ankle support

I'm recovering from a badly broken ankle. I would like to know your experience with 10 inch leather boots. I need good ankle support for at least 2 more years. I prefer all leather lace up style. I'm familiar with GI jungle boots and I don't think those would have the support I need.
    Thanks for replies

I use such boots when working in timber. No ankle issues to report. Hope the wheel heals up good for you.

Paratrooper from Cochran could be in order.
    Sam

4. Default

On that subject, I am (against my will) an authority, having broken mine in 3 places about 5 yrs ago; to this day, it remains swollen, and for the first yr. or more after my operation, I had to wear boots 2 sizes over my regular size, due to swelling and an ankle brace. A heavy-duty lace-up ankle brace is indispensable, but high top boots laced as tight as you get them without breaking the laces are equally important.

Dozens of choices in leather boots--Irish Setters, if you can afford them, which I can't. Can't believe Cabella's wouldn't have what you need.

The last 19 years that I worked at the refinery we had to wear leather hi-top lace up boots. My favorite was Wolverine but they are heavy heavy and heavy made. Did I mention they are heavy? They run about $125. Most of my co-workers preferred Timberline because they are much lighter. I know these (Timberline) can be bought at Academy Sports. Think they are slightly less than $100.

In my much younger days I would constantly "turn" my ankle so I wore cowboy boots for years. The good thing about CB boots is you can wear them for "dress" since the pants leg cover most of the boot. They worked well for me for ankle support and were more comfortable than the work/combat type boots. In your case the down side would be that they don't lace up.
    Last edited by Allen; 03-03-2018 at 11:36.

So many good suggestions. Will say, the swelling part will take time, etc. KTape is very helpful. Do not fiddle with the cloth stuff. Buy the synthetic. It is very helpful. It has allowed me to rehab my right ankle to the point that I can now walk 8-10 miles daily wearing common street shoes/walking type boots rather than the super extreme heavy stiff boots I thought I'd be stuck in for the rest of my life. In fact ... have even been able to go back to some light jogging, something that I never expected would happen. Just don't rush. Forget the voodoo You-Tube quack medical advice stuff. Do not get over confident. Take you time. It will take time. But with care, due caution, you may very well recover far more use/range of motion than might be expected. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Blog Entries

If you must wear lace up ankle sopport, plain toe wellington high tops allow room inside for the "brace". I second the hgh top combat type boot. I wore high top wellington black plain toe for years with my USAF class A and B uniform. High top (11 or more eyelets each side) with my jungle / camo / BDUs.
    Last edited by PWC; 03-03-2018 at 01:24. Reason: Correct spelling

8. Default

Any sturdy high top boot will suffice; but there are a thousand different braces. I went through 4 before I found one with the best combination of support & flexibility, and even it doesn't eliminate all discomfort.

Ten inch boots with real ankle support do not exist.

Try this -- sit with your good leg sticking straight out. Now move your foot so your toes point back. Then move it so your toes point forward. You can do it, right?

Now holding the foot straight up, rotate it so the sole points left then right. You can't do it, right?

For the boot to give ankle protection, it has to be stiff in the side-to-side direction. But for you to walk, it has to be flexible in the fore-and-aft direction. How can a single piece of leather, wrapped around your ankle, be stiff in one direction and flexible in the other? It can't.

What you want is a six-inch hiking boot where the sides cover your ankle bone, but the tongue arrangement allows your foot to flex naturally for walking.

10. Default

Tom:

Not a salesman for these boots, but a happy customer for over 20 years.

Take a look at the Ariat Men's Heritage Western Lacers. They are not 10", only 8" height, but give tremendous ankle support. I have worn these before, but primarily wear their pull-on Wellington/Stockman style at the shop. The foot bed is ATS and feels like a running shoe. The rubber sole has good traction under wet/oily conditions. I have worn out several pair before the soles wear out. The way the lacing system is designed, you should be able to lace them as tight as you need. They are made in China, but are high-end as far as western import boots go. Most of the professional rodeo cowboys wear the Ariat brand and they have more ankle/foot problems than most folks and swear by these boots. About 20 years ago, I had an 1,800 lb. leather press slip off a dolly and one of the legs of the press hit me in the center of my right foot and broke several bones. For several years after the injury, Ariat boots were about the only boot I could wear comfortably. I still wear the pull on boots everyday in the shop, and they are comfortable on hardwood as well as concrete floors.

You should have a western wear store in your area that stocks the Ariat brand, most all western outlets do since these are very popular. I would try them on and walk around the store and see how they feel.

Ariat Men's Heritage Western Lacers
    https://www.bootbay.com/10001988-ari...#157=49&160=71

Richard