Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Looks like they are selling them now.

https://classic.gunauction.com/searc...emnum=14757219

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Looks like they are selling them now.

https://classic.gunauction.com/searc...emnum=14757219
    Those would be Springfield Inc and they are not my cup of tea. Since Bula Defense Systems started making forged receivers a few years ago, all my builds have been using them. Now Bula is making all the parts necessary for a build right in house in Cleveland.

Have you ever built a M1A starting with a Polytech? The receivers and op rods are forged--the bolt and rear sight are the only things that really need to be changed out. Many users state that the Poly barrels shoot more accurately than the Springfields even though they probably make the barrels for SA.

You can still buy a Poly for around $1000. I'm thinking the cost would be much cheaper than using the Bula parts.
    Last edited by Allen; 03-25-2018 at 06:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Have you ever built a M1A starting with a Polytech? The receivers and op rods are forged--the bolt and rear sight are the only things that really need to be changed out. Many users state that the Poly barrels shoot more accurately than the Springfields even though they probably make the barrels for SA.

You can still buy a Poly for around $1000. I'm thinking the cost would be much cheaper than using the Bula parts.
    Yep, used quite a few Polys and Norincos before LRB came out with their Hammmer Forged receivers in 2002. Used LRB for awhile and switched to Bula when they started up.
    Rgr on the Chinese barrels, they are great. The only complaint I had, as a reloader, it takes quite a bit to resize the brass fired in USGI or Chinese barrels because they are 7.62 x 51.

5. Default

Back in the day when the M14 ruled highpower, the convention was that 4064 was the slowest powder you should use. Is there anything special you did to the gas system to shoot 4350?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
    Back in the day when the M14 ruled highpower, the convention was that 4064 was the slowest powder you should use. Is there anything special you did to the gas system to shoot 4350?
    Bula Defense Systems barrels are designed with a smaller gas port. Most of my recent loading has been using Varget. H4350 didn't present any problems that I could see.
    Last edited by nf1e; 04-08-2018 at 02:45.

7. Default

Thanks,
    I have friends that have dragged out their M14's for highpower and have been peripherally aware of what they'd done. I'd heard about adjustable gas ports, vented caps, relieved pistons, heavier op rod springs (mostly to shoot heavies like 185 Lapua's. Add to that adjustable triggers for the shooter...but I never dreamed of 4350 slow!

- - - Updated - - -

...btw, I am intrigued by the Bula story and went on their website to learn more. Not much there from a technical standpoint. Are their receivers hammer forged (like LRB), machined from forged barstock (like Smith Ent), or drop forged (USGI M14's)?
    Last edited by Chris F; 04-08-2018 at 12:20.

Press forged whatever that means. Not being a metal man, I can only go by what the boss tells me.

9. Default

You work for Bula?
    I can only guess that press forging is applying pressure to orient grain structure but perhaps without the violence of a drop forge or hammer forge.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
    You work for Bula?
    I can only guess that press forging is applying pressure to orient grain structure but perhaps without the violence of a drop forge or hammer forge.
    May be a safety factor involved too. I understand the grain structure is equivalent to hammer forging. Built on over 2 dozen of them so far and just love them. USGI barrels time perfectly. Sure is nice to have an outfit that cares about the end user.