Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Johnson Automatic replacement barrels

Hybrid View

Quite a few of the 1917 rifles here came from Denmark. They had been sent to Canada as part of the Lend Lease program. I think Canada just put them in storage and after the war sent on to Denmark. They were not shot much if at all and other then the front sight blades needing replacement when imported back here, they were good rifles and shot very well.
    Last edited by Tuna; 03-04-2018 at 07:53.

where do you get your info? I'd like to read up on it.
    For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

It was standard knowledge when Century imported them from Denmark years ago. I bought an Eddystone for the sum of $99 at a local dealer. Nice shape with a perfect bore and it would shoot an inch or less at 100 yards with almost anything that was shot in it. It was 100% Eddystone too.

Thank You... appreciate your help !! Finally someone who doesn't get bent out of shape when asked for and provides sources !!
    Last edited by milboltnut; 03-05-2018 at 08:12.
    For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

Historical wise, the 1917s when packed away were found to have corrosion developing.

They pulled some out, found the original packing was not working and redid them, but when they started to take them out for WWII issue (Philippines, GB, China) they found that the program had not fully handled the developing corrosion and they had a lot of rifles with bad barrels.

As those were too early for the replacement barrel program, they either over shipped or sorted out. GB shipment notes they were still packed, so if a bad barrel was found then they would have used it for parts (or tested to find out if it was good enough)

Philippines they send a huge number of excess rifle for parts. Likely packed as well.

It was in 1942 that RIA began to overhaul the 1917s due to the shortage of rifles the US saw coming.

The issue is a bit murky as RIA was both overhauling and assembly new rifles from parts.

Remington supplied the RIA blanks, RIA finished the barrels and marked them as their.

JA began making spare barrel in November of 1942

HS: I have not found a date for them.

Models of 1917 had many uses, a few saw US frontline combat, many saw combat with the Free French Forces (which were outfitted with those from GB)

Mostly they served as secondary weapons.

Sea Bs were issued those. Probably the only significant use they saw in serious combat use with US forces.

Chemical Corp (smoke shells etc) were issued those rifles. Close to combat but not in direct contact.

Rear guard functions, POW etc would be another major use. M1s being issued to combat troops.

Canada saw a plethora of use. Lots of supported entities including one reference to their forestry division. RCAF for guards and who knows what else.

The Philippines of course saw use until the surrender and then after with Guerillas. Japan used them until the US Forces took Philippines back. For some reason recovered 1917s were burned (I have seen the pictures of that) None has ever been noted to have been brought back to US. Between the bad environment and the burning if any came back they were not documented in any way.

China used them and there have been a few examples that have found their way back to the US from Vietnam and Asia.
    Last edited by RC20; 03-10-2018 at 10:06.

I brought back a captured Eddystone 17 from Vietnam Dec 68. I don't remember much about it except it was in poor shape. I gave it to a friends father who as I remember was going to use the action for a sporter.

I could see that in an era of M16, Ak etc a 1917 would stand out big time.

Philippines, circa 1944 (45?) ehhh, vs an M1 or a sniper 1903. and the burning of them.

A lot of my info is Ferris (have to read the notes now!) rest is gathered history from so many sources I can get them all in.

Savage got the Rem blanks then RIA got them... Ferris
    Last edited by milboltnut; 03-11-2018 at 04:42.

Yes. RIA put their stamp on them not Remington. Odd stuff

I would think HS got into the business about the same time as the barrel orders were being placed.

Nothing to back that up.