Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default English advertisement asking for guns, 1940

Having a "discussion" with an anti-gun English friend of mine and I recall that the British placed advertisements in U.S. gun publications in 1940, asking Americans to send over their guns to help defend England against German attack. Does anyone know where one can see a picture of one of those ads? I thought there was one in Brophy's M1903 book, but can't seem to find it.

TIA.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Hey Rick,
    I don't have their advert from after Dunkirk but I do have a copy of a newspaper article from 1946.

BEARScan.jpg

Is this what you are looking for:
    send-gun-to-british-home.jpg

BEAR

4. Default

Needless to say those guns were never returned, and the Brits weren't allowed to keep them.
    I read an account in a book If Britain Had Fallen, told of a repair company of the British Army, had to hand over their rifles for use elsewhere, the lieutenant had to hand over his revolver. They were told, if the Germans attack use your wrenches (spanners in King's English).
    Last edited by blackhawknj; 02-28-2018 at 09:36.

Quote Originally Posted by BEAR View Post
    Is this what you are looking for:
    send-gun-to-british-home.jpg

BEAR
    Yes, that's it ... thanks much!!
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Britain's dilemma in 1940 perfectly illuminates the old saying, "When you need a gun, nothing else will do." Regards, Clark

I wonder as to the size of the total haul in binoculars.

leftyo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by togor View Post
    I wonder as to the size of the total haul in binoculars.
    i saw somewhere once that the amount of binoculars from ladies opera glasses to actual field binoculars was a huge number. unlike the guns, many of the binoculars were actually returned after the war.

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawknj View Post
    Needless to say those guns were never returned, and the Brits weren't allowed to keep them.
    I read an account in a book If Britain Had Fallen, told of a repair company of the British Army, had to hand over their rifles for use elsewhere, the lieutenant had to hand over his revolver. They were told, if the Germans attack use your wrenches (spanners in King's English).
    While it is true they 'were never returned', they were released/sold to the general public. This was way before strict gun laws came into being in England. The Brit. military is not subject to English proof laws, so the guns were not proofed until they were released for sale. Some, no doubt, never were sold to the public but went straight to export. Many .22 trainers were sold to the Brit. public and perhaps other types also. I am speaking of Lend Lease guns, the agreement was 'return or destroy'. They did neither, they sold them. As for the guns in the ads, they were given by individuals, probably in the hundred thousands. How would they ever keep track of every one and who it belonged to? I know of one that was returned to the owner, a 1903 which had a brass plaque on the butt which listed the matches won with the rifle. I think it belonged to a US Army officer.
    You can never go home again.

As I once read the British Government asked for help from the NRA in getting sporting weapons to be used by the home guard.