Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Early rebuilds from India

Some years ago, I picked-up two early rifles that were rebuilt in 1914 and 1917 to Mark 111 configuration.

They are a BSA 1904 SHTLE 1** IP s/n 36742 and a Enfield SHTLE 1** I P s/n 37988

Both rifles have new barrels installed (exc bores), charger guides install and upgraded to Mark 111DSCN0486.jpgDSCN0498.jpgDSCN0489.jpgDSCN0501.jpgDSCN0493.jpg

Default some additional photos of the Mark 1** IP rifles

I want to include some additional photosDSCN0513.jpgDSCN0512.jpgDSCN0494.jpgDSCN0509.jpg

Thanks for the pics nice IPs.

Default Indian troops in France 1915

Here is an old photo from the internet that shows some Indian troops in France in 1915. Note the Pattern 1903
    bayonetDSCN2096.jpg

RCS I have one posted a few threads down

Default Mark 1** I.P. rifles

Carlsr, after I read your posts on the Indian Enfield's. I decided to post my two early conversions. Interesting that
    these two Mark 1** I.P. rifles were converted to Mark 111 yet the Mark 1** I.P. markings remain. New barrels
    were made and numbered to the action body, most of the early wood was salvaged. I just am glad to have these
    early rifles. Some additional photosDSCN0509.jpgDSCN0503.jpgDSCN0511.jpgDSCN0512.jpg
    Last edited by RCS; 03-17-2018 at 07:31.

Carlsr,

Thank you for the detailed information on the Mark 1** I.P. rifles

My Enfield 1903 Mark 1** I.P. upgraded in 1914 has the windage backsight, backsight protector with milled out recess, no marking
    on the nose cap except matching number. I had the wrong bolt in my photo and the correct bolt has the early cocking piece also
    with a C stamp. Fore-end has had the stud for the volley sight milled flat.

My BSA 1904 Mark 1** I.P. also has the windage backsight, late backsight protector, nose cap has match number, cocking piece
    is later.

You information is appreciated

RCS

RCS
    I'm not sure what year my rifle was actually made as that was removed during conversion. It does have the windage adjustable rear sight which is marked RFI but the protectors are not milled and no markings. Barrel and receiver have all the proper markings along with an H.V on the barrel and Knox. Trigger guard is marked with a C. The bolt is of the period but no C on the handle. There is what could be a C or a U stamped under the handle. No markings on the nose cap other than serial #. RFI is on the band and what may be a C under RFI. Butt stock has been replaced at some point as it has no markings other than the unit disk which I have not found out too much about. I was told that it stood for Frontier Eastern Provence Horse, South Africa then someone else said no such unit existed. This is the H.V on the knox. IMG_1383.jpgIMG_1384.jpg

I have never seen the HV stamped on the barrel and knox before. My early Enfield Mark 1** I.P. is without the cut off, which is correct from
    your data.